What Jennifer Did: Jennifer Pan is now in prison and aggressively appealing her sentence

‘Her fight is not over’

Right now, the true crime documentary everyone is talking about tells the story of Jennifer Pan and her plot to kill her parents. What Jennifer Did is out on Netflix, and it deep dives into the shocking case.

In November 2010 in the middle of the night, masked men raided the family home of Bich Ha Pan and Huei Hann Pan. At first it seemed as though it was burglary, when the masked men asked Jennifer’s parents to hand over all of their money. However, it all changed when the masked men took the Vietnamese couple, who had lived in Canada for 30 years, into the basement and shot them. Mother Bich was killed instantly, but father Hann survived.

Then the case began to unravel. Why was the door to the family home unlocked? Why hadn’t the invaders taken Jennifer too? Things didn’t add up. Suspicions further arose when Hann, who had been placed into a coma, woke and said Jennifer had been whispering to the hitmen as though she knew them.

Jennifer Pan now, What Jennifer Did, Netflix

via Netflix

So, where is Jennifer Pan now?

It’s now been nearly 15 years since the home invasion Jennifer Pan was found to have orchestrated killed her mother and injured her father. In 2014 a judge found her guilty of first-degree murder and sentenced her to life in prison with no parole for 25 years for first-degree murder, and life for attempted murder.

The three masked men were found to be her on and off boyfriend Daniel Wong, and Lenford Crawford and David Mylvaganam – and they were convicted on the same charges. Jennifer Pan is now serving her sentence at the Grand Valley Institution for Women in Kitchener, Ontario.

In May 2023 it was reported Jennifer, and her three co-accused, had been granted a retrial for the count of first-degree murder. “It’s a very important day,” Stephanie DiGiuseppe, one of the lawyers who represented Pan in the appeal, said in an interview with CBC News at the time. “Her fight is not over.” Jennifer maintains her innocence.

The defence argument is that the original conviction is “unsafe” as the jury was only given two options of how the incident could be explained – either a plot to kill Jennifer’s parents, or a home invasion which ended in her mother’s death. The defence has said more explanations needed to be proposed.

The Appeal Court says the judge should have given the jury second-degree murder and manslaughter as other possible verdicts in the death of Jennifer’s mother. The court dismissed the appeals on the attempted murder convictions. The Supreme Court of Canada is currently deciding whether or not it will hear the case.

What Jennifer Did is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.