Girl power, wife guys and arrests: Every piece of drama from the 2024 Grammy Awards

Turn that up x

The Grammy Awards 2024 was expected to be one of the biggest nights in the music industry, and the drama lived up the hype.

Each year it delivers. The looks are always memorable, and the performances keep us wowing, but along with the scheduled proceedings, there are the water cooler moments that you keep talking about. The best bits are the ones the organisers didn’t painstakingly plan. This year was marked by the legal scuffles, ladies taking over and settling old snubs from past ceremonies. So, in case you missed it, here is a rundown of all the drama that happened at the 2024 Grammy Awards.

Pheobe Bridgers said she wanted the ex Grammy President to ‘rot in piss’

Pheobe Bridgers came for the former Recording Academy Neil Portnow while talking to reporters about the three trophies she won with Boygenius, the supergroup she formed with fellow singer-songwriters Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker.

Standing in the press room, Pheobe said: “I have something to say about women. The ex-president of the Recording Academy, Neil Portnow, said that if women want to be nominated in the Grammys, that they should step up… so and to him I’d like to say: I know you’re not dead yet, but when you are, I hope you rot in piss.”

Miley Cyrus forgot to wear pants to get her first Grammy

Despite making excellent pop since she was a preteen, Miley finally snagged her first gong at the awards, Record of the Year, for her single anthem, Flowers. While getting Record of the Year, she said: “I don’t think I forgot anyone, but I might’ve forgotten underwear.”

Annie Lennox paid tribute to Sinead O’Connor and her activist spirit

Annie took to the stage to sing her late friend’s signature hit, Nothing Compares 2 U after Sinead passed away last summer. Along with paying respects to her and her back catalogue, Annie also honoured the singer’s lifelong activism, calling for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip during the ongoing humanitarian crisis. With her fist in the air, she said mid-song: “Artists for a ceasefire – peace for the world.”

Joni Mitchell proved she really does understand life from Both Sides Now

Joni earned a standing ovation from the grateful crowd after blessing them with an updated version of her classic song, Both Sides Now, with accompaniment from Brandi Carlile and Jacob Collier. It was her first time hitting the Grammy stage despite having a recording career that stretches back to 1968’s Song to A Seagull. Joni also took home her first-ever Grammy in the Best Folk Album category for Joni Mitchell At Newport, a recording of her performance at the iconic festival.

Celine Dion graced the stage after her Stiff Person Syndrome updates

Taylor faced criticism for not paying enough respect to Celine when she presented her with her fourth Album of the Year gong. Celine, who was presenting the award, has recently been seriously affected by her battle with Stiff Person Syndrome. The rare neurological condition has cast serious doubt over her ability ever to perform again. However, they appeared to have made up when a picture of them embracing was shared from backstage.

Taylor made history by getting another Album of the Year Award for Midnights, becoming the first act to win it four times. The category was packed with some of last year’s most successful LPs by acts such as Boygenius, SZA, Jon Bastite and Janelle Monae. Taylor paid tribute to her Snow on The Beach collaborator and fellow nominee Lana Del Rey during her acceptance speech.

“So many female artists would not be where they are or have the inspiration without the work she has done,” she said. “She is a legacy artist, a legend in her prime right now. I’m so lucky to know you and to be your friend.”

Taylor Swift announced her new album

Taylor set the ball rolling to be back there in the same position again with the news that she was dropping The Tortured Poets Department on 19th April while accepting the best pop vocal album for Midnights. The name is widely believed to be a nod to the group chat her ex Joe Alwyn had with his actor friends Paul Mescal and Andrew Scott.

“I know that the way that the Recording Academy voted is a direct reflection of the passion of the fans,” Taylor said. “So, I want to say thank you to the fans by telling you a secret that I’ve been keeping from you for the last two years which is that my brand-new album comes out April 19. It’s called ‘The Tortured Poets Department.’ I’m gonna go and post the cover right now backstage.”

The caption on the promised album cover social media post read: “All’s fair in love and poetry” while the album’s handwritten lyrics read: “And so I enter into evidence / My tarnished coat of arms / My muses, acquired like bruises / My talismans and charms / The tick, tick, tick of love bombs / My veins of pitch black ink.”

Jay-Z stuck up for his wife’s legacy

Beyonce’s husband took to the stage to ask a very reasonable question: How can someone win a record breaking 32 Grammys and still not have an Album of the Year victory? Renaissance will forever be robbed!

“I’m just saying, we want y’all to get it right,” Jay-Z said while accepting the Dr Dre Global Impact Award. “Obviously, it’s subjective because it’s music.”

“I don’t want to embarrass this young lady, but she has the most Grammys than everyone and never won album of the year, so even by your own metrics, that doesn’t work. Think about that: the most Grammys. Never won album of the year. That doesn’t work,” he continued with his and Beyonce’s daughter Blue Ivy by his side.

Killer Mike got arrested after scooping all three of his nominated awards

After scooping up a trio of awards, Killer Mike was taken into custody by the Los Angeles Police Department, who cited a “physical altercation” near the venue. No word was supplied about the exact details of the incident, but surely more will come to light.

The Barbie movie got some on-stage love

Billie Eilish and her musical partner brother Finneas O’Connell took the stage to accept their award for the Barbie soundtrack highlight What Was I Made For?

“Damn, that’s stupid guys!” Billie said during their acceptance. “That was a crazy list of incredible people … I’m shocked out of my balls.”

Billie also dubbed the film “the best movie of the year” and praised Greta Gerwig after weeks of chat she had been snubbed in the Best Director category at the Oscars.

Related stories recommended by this writer

Ranked: The seven greatest performances at the Grammys 2024

• From Miley Cyrus to Ice Spice: The best looks from the Grammys red carpet

• Sorry, Taylor Swift shouldn’t win Album of the Year at the Grammys for Midnights

Photo credit via ALLISON DINNER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock, David Fisher/Shutterstock and Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock