Killer Mike was arrested at the Grammy awards

So, here’s why Killer Mike was arrested after winning three Grammy awards

It could be related to his hat trick of gongs

killer mike arrested grammys

Killer Mike was arrested outside the Grammys just after he scooped up three awards for getting into a “physical altercation”, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Before he was taken away, he had just come out top in all three of his nominated categories. This included Best Rap Album for his LP titled Michael, Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance for his song Scientists and Engineers featuring Andree 3000, Future and Eryn Allen Kane. After he won during the non-televised portion of the ceremony, Killer Mike expressed his joy to reporters backstage and raged against ageism in hip-hop.

“At 20 years old, I thought it was cool to be a drug dealer. At 40, I started to live with the regrets and the things I’ve done. At 45, I started to rap about it. At 48, I stand here as a man full of empathy and sympathy for the things I’ve done,” he continued.

However, later, the Los Angeles Police Department revealed it had taken Killer Mike, whose real name is Michael Render, into police custody in connection to “a physical altercation” that had taken place right next to the ceremony.

“On Sunday, 4 February, just after 4pm, a male adult was detained and handcuffed for a physical altercation that occurred at the 700 block of Chick Hearn Court,” a LAPD spokesperson said.

They continued: “The suspect was placed under arrest and was transported to LAPD Central Division. The suspect has been identified as 48-year-old Michael Render and booked for Misdemeanor Battery 243(A) PC, and is in the process of being released.”

The moment Killer Mike was taken away into police custody was captured on camera by the Hollywood Reporter.

When he made his success a trio of wins, Killer Mike – who is well-known for being part of the rap duo Run The Jewels with EL-P, the alias of Jaime Meline – was full of hometown glory, exclaiming “Sweep± Atlanta, it’s a sweep”.

“For all the people out there that think you get too old to rap, bullshit,” he added before urging that if oldies started rapping it would help “keep hip-hop alive”.

The Associated Press reached out to Killer Mike for comment, but nothing was given prior to publication. The Hollywood Reporter also sought comment but representatives at the scene declined to give one.

Related stories recommended by this writer

From Miley Cyrus to Ice Spice: The best looks from the Grammys red carpet

• Sorry, Taylor Swift shouldn’t win Album of the Year at the Grammys for Midnights

• So, what’s the true story of Ryan Murphy’s new series Feud: Capote vs The Swans?

Photo credit via ALLISON DINNER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock