Ekin-Su Davide Love Island

An ode to Ekin-Su and Davide: The turbulent Love Island icons who still have me obsessed

Their breakup ruined me, them getting back together healed me – but why am I this invested?

I’ll be real with you: I’m not that arsed about Love Island. This might come as a bit of a shock to you if you’ve ever read anything I’ve written, because for a hefty amount of months in the year it does dominate my every waking thought. If I’m completely transparent with you, it’s because it’s great fun to write about – especially when you don’t earnestly like it. I am not tuning into Love Island to find new influencers to care about, I’m actually just there to poke fun at its tropes. Sure, I get invested in the season,  but that’s it. When it ends, it vanishes out of my mind. There’s one exception to this, though. A certain Turkish delight, and to a lesser extent but still importantly, an Italian stallion. Ekin-Su and Davide captured my heart when they found each other on Love Island 2021, and to this day, they’ve never let it go. But why? Why these two? Let’s get into it.

Love Island 2021

Ekin-Su and Davide were both instant Love Island characters from the moment they stepped into the villa. Davide, with his strong accent and obviously gorgeous ways, had heads turning. Ekin-Su was an instant character – one unafraid to go for what she wants and be completely extra in her methods. The two fought and became sworn enemies before eventually having an unshakeable chemistry that resulted in the two reconciling and going on to win the whole thing. Obviously, not without having a fair few fights along the way.

Ekin-Su and Davide winning Love Island over the likes of early and steady but deeply boring couples like Luca and Gemma, who have now – might I add – split up, felt like a little victory over the most boring sides of the show and a win for eternal chaos. And that eternal chaos never let up – which probably added to why this year for them has been the rollercoaster Ronan Keating famously told us all life was. And they rode it.

Chaotic icons

After a year of smacking off showmance accusations and cheating allegations, and a quick little whirlwind ITV 2 spin off show where the two ventured to each other’s hometowns, as Love Island 2023 aired, the fairytale of Love Island 2022 seemed to come to an end. In June, the two’s whirlwind relationship ended.

Announcing their split, Davide said: “Ekin-Su and I are no longer together. I am grateful for the memories and opportunities we shared together and I wish her nothing but the best. I would like for everybody to respect this decision during this difficult time. I will continue to support Ekin in anyway possible.”

I for one, was distraught. I wrote the news up with tears splashing onto the keyboard. I’m being hyperbolic of course, but I genuinely was sad. It felt like that naysayers had won. But sure enough, the heartache wasn’t for long. After lingering glances filled with tension at the Barbie movie’s London premiere, a trip to Turkey seemed to get it all back on track. Is there anything Bodrum can’t fix? Seemingly not.

“Despite all the storms, I wanted to make this day special for you… Enjoy the moment, make a wish, and blow hard. Happy birthday @ekinsuofficial.” Davide wrote on his Instagram story, and I nearly dropped my phone amongst all the rejoicing.

Ekin-Su then shared the snap to her story, and added: “Surprising me like always, thank you for a good birthday.” They’re back on! It’s official!” I could not be more thrilled. But why? Why am I thrilled? Why can’t I dismiss these two like I can literally any other Islander pairing?

Quite simply, it’s because she’s a gay icon

There’s not much crossover between my gay online world and that of Love Island beyond work, with one exception: Ekin-Su. The reason I care so much about Ekin and Davide is because I want my little TV legend to have a happy ending with a guy almost as much of a character as she is. It’s not just me who feels this way. JJ Froud, another Ekin-Su stan, got in touch with me when I posed the question if anyone else is bemused by their constant obsession with God-Su. He had this to say.

“Never has there been a mother who has mothered so severely. She has a masters degree in cuntology from the University of Servington and for that, and for single handedly revitalising Love Island, she deserves her happy ending. Her and Davide have done more for post-Brexit European relations in the UK than any politician and their impact should be studied in AQA history school text books.”

I mean, he’s not wrong. Long live Ekin-Su and Davide.

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.