Ncuti Gatwa Sex Education

Ncuti Gatwa says filming scenes on Sex Education ‘wasn’t always joyous’

It comes after it was announced the series wouldn’t go beyond season four

Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa has revealed what it was like filming difficult scenes on the hit Netflix series. While the series has been championed for its discussions of tough themes, it hasn’t come without struggles for its cast.

As the series moves into its final season on Netflix, Ncuti Gatwa has opened up about what it’s like filming the show, admitting it has been a “battle”.

Ncuti, who is set to be the 15th Doctor in Doctor Who, spoke to Rolling Stone UK about the series ending, calling it “a bittersweet goodbye”.

via Netflix

“It was very hard; it was such a big show. When you’re telling stories that haven’t been seen before,” he explained.

“There’s always a battle as to how to tell them. It wasn’t always joyous. I feel like we’ve outgrown it, and we’ve given everything we can to it.”

Ncuti rose to fame for his portrayal of Eric, a character who explored his sexuality whilst living in a strict religious household.

“It fast-tracked me into the downsides of this industry,” Ncuti said about playing Eric. “I remember being told by an executive producer that white people wouldn’t understand my character, Eric, which incensed me. There’s an entire show there for white people to understand.”

The interview comes after it was announced the fourth season of Sex Education would be the last. Announcing the news on their Instagram page, Sex Education wrote: “It’s been a while since you heard from us. This Autumn we’re back with season four, coming to Netflix on September 21.

“A lot has happened since our first writers room in 2017, when we spent a month in a cramped office above a sex shop, talking about what it felt like to go through puberty. The painful awkwardness, first crushes and big, big feelings.

“”We wanted to make a show that would answer some of the questions we all used to have about love, sex, friendship, and our bodies. Something that would have helped our inner teenagers feel a little less alone.”

The account said it had been “overwhelming” seeing how the show had connected with people.

“Writing this feels bittersweet, as we’ve decided the fourth season will also be the final instalment of our show,” the post continued.

“This was not an easy decision to make, but as the themes and stories of the new season crystallised, it became clear that this was the right time to graduate.

“We are incredibly proud of Sex Education and feel indebted to our brilliant writers, cast and crew who put so much heart into making every episode. They have worked tirelessly to bring you this final season, and we can’t wait to share it with you.”

All three seasons of Sex Education are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.