Netflix's Kaleidoscope true story

Here’s everything you need to know about the events that inspired Netflix’s Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope’s showrunner has revealed how he was inspired for the show

Kaleidoscope is Netflix’s new heist drama series which will definitely fill the Money Heist hole in your heart. The TV series is the first of its kind on Netflix as it can be watched in any order and it’ll still make sense, providing you leave the finale episode as the last one you watch. With an all-star cast and some really exciting locations, Kaleidoscope is the heist drama everyone has been waiting for. While some of the heist seems mind-boggling at times, the creator of the series said that true events inspired the show. Here is the true story behind Netflix’s Kaleidoscope:

Hurricane Sandy inspired Garcia’s idea for Kaleidoscope

In 2012, Hurricane Sandy erupted across the Caribbean and US East Coast, causing an approximate $81.9 billion in damages. Hurricane Sandy was one of the most costliest storms in the US. The fallout from the hurricane is what inspired the heist in Kaleidoscope. As well as causing physical damage, Hurricane Sandy also affected Wall Street when a reported $70 billion in bearer bonds had been soaked in water.

Netflix's Kaleidoscope true story

via Netflix

The vault in Wall Street contained more than 1.7 million bonds and the hurricane ruined them

When New York City was hit by Hurricane Sandy, the flood made its way into a depository located underneath downtown New York. The vault was operated by Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation and it housed more than 1.7 million bond and stock certificates. The bons and certificates were soaked by water and among the contents were a reported $70 billion worth in bearer bonds.

Garcia said the flood was ‘a perfect cover-up for a heist’

Speaking with Tudum, Eric Garcia said that Kaleidoscope “is loosely based on a thing that might have happened.” He said: “That’s a perfect cover-up for a heist. If I’m doing a heist, I’m going to use Hurricane Sandy as my excuse.”

Because bearer bonds aren’t registered to an owner, they are more likely to be stolen. Kaleidoscope star Giancarlo Esposito, said: “They can be used as cash to buy anything from stolen jewels to stolen art. If they’re unmarked, they can’t be traced. If you have them in your possession, they are yours.

Netflix's Kaleidoscope true story

via Netflix

Kaleidoscope is available to watch on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.