rishi sunak

Breaking: Rishi Sunak set to become the UK’s next Prime Minister

Penny Mordaunt has dropped out of the race!!

Penny Mordaunt has withdrawn from the Tory leadership race, meaning Rishi Sunak is set to become our next prime minister.

Over the last 24 hours, two-out-of-three candidates, including Boris Johnson, dropped out of the race, so Rishi becomes the new Conservative Party leader by default. He’ll need to meet with King Charles before he officially becomes the new PM.

We haven’t actually heard from Rishi himself since the summer about his plans and policies. He hasn’t taken part in a single debate, or had any interviews since he lost out to Liz Truss for the top job in September.

rishi

Photo via Rishi Sunak on YouTube

Rishi has risen to the top at a hugely turbulent time for the Tories. Not only is the economic crisis bearing down on the country, as well as climate change and the ever-increasing cost of living, Liz Truss’ laughable 45-day tenure has placed even more pressure on the new leader to call a confidence vote. Financial expert Andrew Megson has said: “It’s crucial that the new PM focuses on immediate reassurances for Britons struggling to stay afloat amid a soaring cost-of-living crisis. Confirming his stance on key policies such as the triple lock, or benefits cuts, would be a step in the right direction.”

Keir Starmer, Nicola Sturgeon – even members of Boris Johnson’s former cabinet have advocated for a General Election. This is highlighted by the fact that Rishi will be our second unelected prime minister in two months.

According to the BBC’s Chief Political Correspondent, Nick Eardley, Rishi will likely cement his title as Britain’s new PM tomorrow (25th October).

Addressing the UK, Rishi said: “It is the greatest privilege of my life to be able to serve the party I love, and give back to the country I owe so much to… We now need stability and unity, and I will make it my utmost priority to bring our party and my country together.”