gymshark-catcalling

Anti-sexual harassment charity slams Gymshark for ‘polite catcalling’ video

The video shows a man shouting at a group of women: ‘Damn girl, you look like your sweat smells good’

An anti-sexual harassment charity has slammed Gymshark for posting an Instagram reel entitled: “polite catcalling”.

Our Streets Now said it was “really disappointed” in in the popular clothing brand for uploading the video.

Gymshark has since removed the video from its Instagram.

In the controversial video, a man stands outside a gym shouting comments through a megaphone at women leaving the facility.

“Damn girl, you look like your sweat smells good,” he says. Then, as they walk off confused, the man adds: “because you stay super hydrated. You have a really good diet.”

After seeing the video, Our Streets Now tweeted: “Really disappointed to see @Gymshark have posted a video with the title ‘polite catcalling’ on their socials.

“In what universe is hollering at people going about their day ‘polite’?? Very telling that the only subjects featured were femme-presenting too.”

Somerset & Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support tweeted: “Dear @Gymshark shouting at someone “your sweat smells good” is not polite. Cat calling is not polite period.”

Women’s rights advocate Alimatu Dimonekene added: “@Gymshark your single action to target only women for sexual subjugation in promoting your gym frankly is beyond words. #Catcalling a form of #streetsexualharrassment is an act of harassment & violence.

“Hope the @WMPolice act appropriate before another gym decides to do the same.”

Gymshark has been contacted for comment.