Paddington and the Queen

Right, what is the story behind Queen Elizabeth II and Paddington Bear’s relationship?

It’s all very wholesome

Following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, people have been reminiscing on her appearances in books and sketches over the years. One major appearance has been with everyone’s favourite bear, Paddington. After the statement of the Queen’s death was released, the Twitter account of Paddington Bear shared a heartfelt message to its followers. The tweet said: “Thank you Ma’am, for everything.”

The tweet has received one million likes on Twitter and people have since been paying tribute to the Queen and Paddington’s bond, with mourners leaving toy Paddington bears and marmalade sandwiches at Buckingham Palace to pay their respects. The relationship between the Queen and Paddington is very wholesome, but how did it all start?

Here is the story behind Paddington Bear and the late Queen Elizabeth II’s wholesome connection:

They first appeared together in a book about Paddington Bear’s trip to Buckingham Palace

In 1986, British children’s book author Michael Bond wrote the book, Paddington at the Palace. The book follows Paddington who visits Buckingham Palace where he crosses paths with the Queen. In the book, the pair do not get the chance to meet one another but Paddington says he spotted her in a window.

In 2006, Paddington pays a visit to the queen in a pantomime

In a pantomime play called The Queen’s Handbag, Paddington takes a trip to Buckingham Palace. The panto was part of the Children’s Party at the Palace, in honour of the Queen’s 80th birthday celebrations in 2006.

An illustration of the Queen walking with Paddington was done in June 2022, following her Jubilee

Following the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, artist Eleanor Tomlinson drew a picture of Paddington and the Queen.

The illustration has made waves since the Queen’s death, with someone even getting it tattooed onto their leg in order to honour the late monarch.

via SWNS

In June 2022, they both had tea and a marmalade sandwich together

In a Paddington Bear skit, the two sit down with one another for an afternoon tea ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The YouTube video has over nine million views