Beyoncé kelis sample

Beyoncé removes *another* clip from Renaissance amid Kelis and Pharrell drama

‘From one artist to another… grow up’

While we’re all *extremely* excited for the release of Renaissance, a certain scandal has threatened to cast a cloud over the celebrations.

Singer Kelis has accused Beyoncé and Pharrell Williams – who produced some of the tracks on the album – of stealing a sample from her. Everyone’s talking about it, but if you don’t know the background, it might be tricky to follow what’s unfolding before our eyes. So, what exactly happened between Beyoncé, Kelis and Pharrell, and what are the accusations?

Energy featured samples of Milkshake

kelis beyonce sample

Photo via Universal Music/YouTube

The outro of Renaissance’s fifth track, Energy, featured backing vocals and instrumental samples from Milkshake. Yep – as in, “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.” It’s an iconic song, but apparently Kelis was never asked by Beyoncé if she could use it.

Kelis said Beyoncé should’ve called

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kelis (@kelis)

“Not only are we Black, female artists in an industry that we… there’s not that many of us,” Kelis said in Instagram reel. “We’ve met each other, we know each other, we have mutual friends. It’s not hard. She can contact.”

The singer also made a point of saying “Ashnikko, she’s a young, white girl… SHE reached out… it’s just common decency.” Ashnikko sampled Kelis on her song, Deal With It, and gave her a featured credit.

She claims her credits were ‘stolen’

“I know what I own and what I don’t own,” Kelis continued. “I also know the lies that were told, I also know the things that were stolen, publishing was stolen, people who were swindled out of rights… it happens all the time.”

She called people accusing her of being “mad at Beyoncé” a “sheep”. “She’s one issue, because it was stupid and disrespectful, and she should’ve at least reached out,” the singer said. “But the real issue is the fact that the people, like Pharrell, and like Chad (Hugo)… Pharrell knows better.”

Kelis accused Pharrell of a ‘hit’ job

“This was a direct hit at me,” she claimed. “The reason I’m annoyed is because I know it was on purpose. This was an on-purpose, direct hit which was very passive-aggressive. It’s very petty, it’s very stupid.”

The singer encouraged the Beyhive to ‘knock themselves out’ in the comments

“I don’t mince my words,” she said. “I’m not mad like that. It’s not about me being jealous – jealous of someone using MY song? That’s the dumbest, most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard.

“From one artist to another, you should have the decency, the common sense and the courtesy to call. A manager, agent, anybody! So, grow up.”

Beyoncé has removed the Kelis sample from Energy

The singer quietly removed Kelis’ sample from Energy last night (2nd August). Although TIDAL was the first streaming platform to hold the edited version, it’s expected to drop on all streaming platforms “soon”. As of writing this, Kelis hasn’t yet responded to the edit.

The Tab has contacted Pharrell Williams’ and Beyoncé’s representatives for comment.