trans-men-are-men

Half of all Brits think ‘trans men are men and trans women are women,’ survey finds

Most Brits have a ‘compassionate approach’ to trans equality

Despite the often toxic discussion around trans rights, 46 per cent of Brits agree that “trans men are men and trans women are women” according to a new poll of over 5,000 people. Meanwhile, just 32 per cent of people disagreed.

The report claims that “instead of angry debates… the public want a live and let live approach to trans people” and that the majority of Brits “take a nuanced, compassionate approach” to trans equality.

Trans rights have received intense media attention recently but the report by More In Common showed the “debate about transgender people” ranked as the least important issue for the public. Out of a list of 16 topics, just two per cent of people said it was the most important issue.

Percentage of people who agree that a trans man is a man and a trans woman is a woman

The poll found that amongst the youngest generation (Gen Z) 48 per cent knew someone who was transgender far higher than the average of 24 per cent amongst the whole population. Throughout the report, it’s clear that young people are far more likely to support trans equality.

Percentage of people who know someone transgender

One exception, however, is trans women’s inclusion in women-only sporting events where even amongst Gen Z, 38 per cent oppose their inclusion against 37 per cent who support inclusion.

The data comes at a pivotal moment in the fight for trans equality as campaigners are trying to force the government to reverse its decision to keep trans conversion therapy legal.

The researchers say that none of the people they spoke to regardless of political ideology “thought that trans people were a threat.”

Additionally, it appears the public supports educating young people on gender identity at school. 63 per cent of people believe that children should be taught that some people are transgender by at least secondary school.

More in Common, UK Director, Luke Tryl also said: “Almost no one we spoke to got worked up about calling someone by their preferred pronouns.”

Overall the report calls for people to build on the public consensus and make meaningful progress that makes trans people’s lives better.

Feature image credit: Karollyne Hubert

For more politics and current affairs follow our new channel Agenda on Twitter.