Say hello to Ikenna: Love Island 2022’s ‘Covid hero’ and science graduate

This guy actually worked at AstraZeneca

Love Island is back, and this year the cast is actually looking like they might be a bunch of varied and quite fun cast members. Among them is Ikenna, who is a uni grad and described as the “Covid hero” for Love Island 2022.

Yep, this guy worked for the actual AstraZeneca during the pandemic, so I think eight weeks in the sun lounging around the villa is the least he deserves. Here’s everything you need to know about Ikenna, as the Love Island villa welcomes him through its doors.

What to know about new Love Island 2022 cast member Ikenna Ekwonna

Ikenna in his Love Island 2022 promo shoot

Love Island 2022 star Ikenna is 23 and from Nottingham

Ikenna Ekwonna is 23-years-old and currently living in Nottingham. He’s six foot five, in case you’re wondering. “I’ve only been in one past relationship but now I think I’m at the age where I could find someone,” he said when asked why now is the time he’s ready for Love Island.

“Hopefully, I’m going to bring spontaneity and excitement. I’m not really shy to speak to people and I don’t really care too much about what people think.” He added that he’s only single by choice, and said: “It’s also pretty hard to find good looking people out there who are my type and my age so Love Island will put me in a situation where there will be people like that and hopefully that will force me to settle down.”

via Instagram @ikenna._

Before Love Island, Ikenna was working in pharmaceuticals and got a Biomedical Science degree from Nottingham Trent

Ikenna works in pharmaceutical sales. He’s been described as a “Covid hero” because he worked at a pharmaceutical vaccine company during the pandemic – yep he actually worked at AstraZeneca as a Remote Primary Care Accounts Specialist.

In April of this year, Ikenna posted to say he had finished a degree at Nottingham Trent in Biomedical Science with a 2:1. All he had to say was: “Tough time neva last”. Feels.

via Instagram @ikenna._

Ikenna is bubbly, funny, good looking AND exciting

There are clearly many layers to his personality, because when asked how his friends would describe him, Ikenna couldn’t just settle on one word. “Bubbly, funny, good looking, exciting,” he said.

He said his dating history is “turbulent” and he is quite competitive. “I’m very competitive, I’m quite sporty as well which is probably where it comes from,” he said. “I don’t really hold grudges so if someone steps on my toes, I’m effectively allowed to do the same.”

via Instagram @ikenna._

When asked about a memorable dating experience, Ikenna said: “I took my ex on holiday for her birthday. We went to Barcelona for four nights and I was pretty young then, maybe like 19-20. It was for her birthday so she didn’t know about it. It was quite a lot of money to spend for that age.”

He has 7.4k followers on Instagram and a second account for fitness

Ikenna doesn’t have many Instagram posts, but right now his feed consists of candid shots and graduation photos. He also has a second account dedicated to his fitness and personal coaching – @ikennafitness. His main account has 7.4k followers and the handle is @ikenna._.

Love Island 2022 starts on ITV2 at 9pm on Monday 6th June. For all the latest Love Island news, memes, quizzes and gossip – follow The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.