Explained: What exactly is the lawsuit against Kane’s family in Bling Empire?

He brushes off the case in a chat with Anna, but it turns out it’s worth tens of millions

Sometimes, Bling Empire on Netflix is anything but relatable – but that’s kinda why we love it. Kane literally says “every family goes through drama” – in our world that’s a fight over what to watch on TV, but in the world of Bling Empire cast members like Kane Lim, that’s a huge lawsuit against your extended family.

In episode four, Kane Lim and Anna Shay are having a chat at her home. Anna asks if everything is ok with Kane’s family. “Obviously there’s some drama that’s happening in Singapore,” he replies. “But it’s nothing to do with my family.” Anna then says gossip is “diabolical” and that Kane’s family has its own problems too. “I don’t know who he thinks he is to talk about people,” she says.

Kane then says his dad and uncle left the family business 20 years ago so what’s going on now “totally has nothing to do with my family” and “everything’s great” with his direct family. He then goes on to say it’s the first time in his life that a lawsuit has gone on. “It’s tough because I’m sad for what’s happened,” he says. “I can’t do anything about it. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. I just want to close the chapter and leave it alone.”

Ok, what the hell is going on here?

The lawsuit against the family of Kane Lim in Bling Empire season two explained

via Netflix

So, what is the lawsuit that is said to be going on with Bling Empire star Kane Lim’s family in Singapore?

Let’s break this whole lawsuit including the extended family of Kane from Bling Empire down. According to Bloomberg, the case includes a “Singapore oil tycoon” who founded Hin Leong, and they have denied a forgery claim from the bank HSBC. This oil tycoon is *allegedly* Kane’s uncle. HSBC has sued Lim and his family to recover $85.3million in loans.

Allegedly, the man has forged documents sent to HSBC in order to obtain financing. The oil tycoon, all his children, and an employee at the business have all been explicitly named in the lawsuit by HSBC. The claims have been denied, with the tycoon saying the documents were simply delivered wrong.

It doesn’t end here though. According to CNBC, Singapore’s public prosecutor has filed an additional 105 charges against Lim Oon Kuin, the founder of collapsed oil trading firm Hin Leong Trading, relating to $2.23billion in fraudulent disbursements. The charges include 68 charges of cheating, 36 of conspiracy to commit forgery, and one of conspiracy to forge a valuable security.

Apparently multiple of the family assets have been frozen and some of the businesses have been liquidated.

Kane has never said much about his family and how they became so rich. Kane Lim grew up in Singapore, and is introduced onto Bling Empire as a billionaire heir. His dad is a billionaire business owner from Singapore, and the family owns shopping malls, with their money coming from oil, shipping, tanking and real estate. When Kane tells Anna the current lawsuit has nothing to do with his direct family he is correct, as his parents left the business in question several years ago.

Season two of Bling Empire is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.