Heartstopper books season two

Netflix just confirmed Heartstopper season two! Here’s what happens based on the book

Please say Olivia Colman, please say Olivia Colman!!

Netflix just confirmed Heartstopper for not one but TWO new seasons and fans are excited. Heartstopper is the queer show we all need right now. We’ve all caught Nick and Charlie fever and it doesn’t seem like we’ll be over it any time soon. It’s been over a month since season one of the show was released, and I don’t actually think I’ve thought about anything else since. And now with the announcement of two new seasons, I can’t stop thinking about what’s going to happen based on the book by Alice Oseman.

Heartstopper is based on the first two volumes of the graphic novel of the same name, and luckily for us, there are another two books (and a final one on the way!) with author Alice Oseman telling RadioTimes: “It would probably be four seasons to cover the whole story”.

So now Netflix has announced it, here’s everything you can expect from season two of Heartstopper based on the book! Spoiler alert. Obviously.

So, what happens next for Nick and Charlie in season two based on the Heartstopper books?

Volume Three of Heartstopper (chapter four of the webcomic) sees Nick and Charlie start to tell more people about their relationship. This, of course, means that Nick will have to come out to more of his friends and family, which he struggles with in the comic. This could mean the return of queen Olivia Colman as Sarah Nelson, Nick’s mum, but also a new character, David, Nick’s biphobic brother.

It’s very likely that season two will begin to address Charlie’s eating disorder. Season one hinted towards this, with Charlie repeatedly telling people he wasn’t hungry and not eating his lunch. In Volume Three, Nick starts to notice this, and the book ends with him researching eating disorders after the Paris trip. This is obviously an extremely important and sensitive topic to cover, and many fans are waiting to see how Netflix will handle it.

There’s also the reveal that Tao was (accidentally) the reason Charlie got outed when he was in year nine, which has the potential to cause a bit of friction between the two friends this season. But it’s not all bad news for Tao. Volume Three sees Tao and Elle (TaoElle, if you’re a fan) getting closer, and a fan-favourite first kiss outside the Louvre. This is obviously a golden opportunity for them to play Lorde, and I’ll be writing a strongly-worded letter to Netflix if it doesn’t happen.

Speaking of the Louvre, season two could see the gang travelling to Paris on a school trip! In the comics, the Paris gang comprises Nick, Charlie, Tao, Elle, Aled, Tara, and Darcy. With Aled, a character exclusive to the comics, being swapped out for Isaac in the show, we can assume that our favourite book lover will be joining the rest of the gang in France.

Heartstopper books season two

The France trip also introduces another new character, Mr Farouk, a teacher at the girls’ school. He develops a friendship with Charlie’s art teacher Mr Ajayi which quickly becomes something more. We could also see Harry on the France trip as he starts to learn how to be less of a homophobic piece of shit, and Darcy getting the entire Paris gang absolutely hammered in a hotel room. Netflix, renew Heartstopper. I have to see this, okay?

Heartstopper is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Related stories recommended by this writer

• ‘It makes me feel seen’: Queer people on the importance of Netflix’s Heartstopper

• Every single way Netflix changed Heartstopper from the original novel

• Take this quiz and we’ll tell you which character from Heartstopper you are