tv moments bafta

These ridiculously iconic TV moments have each been nominated for a BAFTA

All hail Bimini Bon BAFTA x

The BAFTAs are here once again, which means a whole host of standout shows are in the running for the most prestigious award of all: Virgin Media’s Must-See Moment. Last year, Nigella Lawson’s mee-crow-wah-vay was famously nominated – and she was up against some pretty tough competitors. Bridgerton, Gogglebox, Britain’s Got Talent and The Mandalorian were also up for the 2021 award.

Arguably, 2022’s offerings are even better. Not only is Bimini Bon Boulash nominated, but Squid Game, It’s A Sin and Adele are each in with a chance of taking it home.

So, here’s a full rundown of the ridiculously iconic shows nominated:

An Audience with Adele – Adele reunites with her English teacher

Don’t get me wrong, this moment was very touching. But the real award should go to Alan Carr’s rendition of Make You Feel My Love.

Adele reunited with her long-lost secondary school English teacher during her one-night-only performance in London last year. BAFTA-worthy for the close-up of David Tennant alone, in my humble opinion.

I’m A Celeb – Ant and Dec’s dig at Boris Johnson

Ant and Dec’s perfectly-timed – if a little cheesy – Downing Street party jokes were probably the highlight of the entire series. The fact that 30-second inserts were more memorable than any of the campmates’ antics is slightly sad, but at least the one-liners were funny.

It’s A Sin – Colin’s AIDS diagnosis

bafta tv moments

Photo via Channel 4

It’s amazing to see such a gut-wrenchingly important moment included on the list. Colin quickly became everyone’s favourite character throughout the initial few episodes, which only made his physical and mental decline all the more devastating.

Russell T. Davies’ historical series shone an unflinching spotlight on the AIDS crisis for the generation who didn’t grow up with it – and for that, it should be endlessly praised.

Squid Game – Red Light, Green Light

God, this was grim. The death-defying kids’-style game ruthlessly killed off a bunch of people – so, sure. Why not put it in the same category as Ant and Dec joking around?

Strictly Come Dancing – Rose and Giovanni’s silent dance

Fair enough, this was really beautiful. In order to raise awareness for the deaf community, actress Rose Ayling-Ellis and dance partner Giovanni Pernice performed a partially-silent dance during the couple’s choice episode of Strictly. They received 10s across the board, a huge amount of praise on Twitter – and now a potential BAFTA.

RuPaul’s Drag Race UK – UK Hun?

BING BANG BONG. The United Kingdolls’ version of UK Hun? is officially nominated for a BAFTA. Now I know why Bimini reminded Ru of Meryl Streep.