ukraine-university-student-worcester-ukrainian-refugees

A UK university is offering up two halls of residence to house Ukrainian refugees

‘We express our solidarity with the Ukrainian people as they fight to preserve their cities, country, lives and freedoms,’ VC says

The University of Worcester is offering up two halls of residence to house refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine.

The uni is also providing financial aid to those fleeing the war, in a bid to take “practical action” and support those impacted by the ongoing conflict.

Nearly three million people have fled Ukraine since Russia invaded the country three weeks ago.

A spokesperson for the University of Worcester told Worcester News: “As a humanitarian crisis unfolds in Ukraine following its invasion by Russia’s armed forces, many people in the University of Worcester community are looking for ways they can help.

“From encouraging donations to assist people in the warzone, to adding our voice to the calls for safe passage for refugees to travel to the UK, the university is taking practical action to help the Ukrainian people in every way at our disposal.

“The university has readied itself to be a reception centre for Ukrainian refugees.

“Two halls of residence on our St John’s campus which have recently been refurbished and were therefore vacant, have been immediately re-commissioned and will be offered to provide the emergency housing needed for a reception centre.

“We will cooperate closely with community organisations, the Church of England and other faith bodies, our local authorities and housing associations to create an effective system to ensure that refugees from the Ukraine to our region receive the sanctuary and support they need.”

Vice chancellor of the University of Worcester Professor David Green said: “Colleagues, students, governors, and fellows of the university have been horrified by the Russian regime’s invasion of Ukraine.

“The needless deaths of so many Ukrainians, including children and adult civilians as well as soldiers, the injuries to so many more and the displacement of so many people is truly devastating.

“The University of Worcester was founded after World War II to ‘win the peace through education’.

“Our commitment to democracy, the rule of law and the sovereignty of independent nations is unshakable. As a community, we express our solidarity with the Ukrainian people as they fight to preserve their cities, country, lives and freedoms.”

Featured image credit: Unsplash