skeleton brunch

Hate to break it to you, but the Skeleton Brunch TikTok trend isn’t actually real

This has ruined my day tbh

If you’re as terminally online as I am, chances are you’ve probably seen *everyone* on Twitter talking about “Skeleton Brunch” over the last day or so. Those two powerful words made such an impact, they were even picked up by some global news outlets.

You wouldn’t be blamed for feeling out of the loop on this one – especially as no-one seems to know what the trend actually is. When you search for it on TikTok, the top-viewed videos are all about generic Halloween-themed breakfasts, or using plastic skeleton fingers to stir hot coffee. Pretty weird, but not the kind of Skeleton Brunch we were promised.

So, what exactly is this elusive Skeleton Brunch? How did the rumour start on Twitter and, most importantly, does it actually exist?

What goes on at a Skeleton Brunch?

skeleton brunch

Photo via YouTube

It’s not quite skeleton breakfast; it’s not quite skeleton lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end and you get a good meal.

According to Twitter, the way to transform your ordinary brunch into a Skeleton Brunch is to simply place a plastic (or real, I don’t know your life) skeleton across the table from you. Make a plate for them, pour them some coffee, beguile them with witty repartee.

Dine with as many skeletons as you like – it doesn’t have to be just one.

Where did the rumour come from?

One Twitter user, named Dr. Economy Stonks, was one of the first to speak out against Skeleton Brunches. She posted an edited photo of several news articles around the world, each one apparently warning parents against the “dangerous craze.” A quick Google search shows none of these articles actually exist – as well as angry tweets from the journalists who “wrote” them. But that didn’t stop people from taking the concept and running with it.

Another person replied with a fabricated DM involving Rudy Giuliani, the former mayor of New York City. In the conversation, Rudy apparently said: “Skeleton Brunch? Wrong person. Ignore” to the unsuspecting user.

Several hours later, the in-joke blew up and divided Twitter in half.

Ok… so does Skeleton Brunch actually exist?

Some outlets are insisting niche corners of the internet (like WitchTok) are participating in the “trend” – but sadly, this can be debunked with a simple search.

In the hearts and minds of Twitter meme lords, however, Skeleton Brunch is very much real. And that’s all we’ll say on the matter.