Netflix is planning to turn The Tinder Swindler into a drama movie

Ok, I need this 👀

Over the last few days, the world has been hooked on Netflix documentary The Tinder Swindler. Since its release last week, the film has gone straight into the top 10 list, topping the ranking in the UK and the US. And now, the film has been so successful that Netflix is planning on turning The Tinder Swindler story into a drama movie.

According to Variety,  Netflix is in talks with producers about dramatising the wild documentary and sources indicate the conversation is in early stages, and that the tone of a potential film is still being worked out. The film was produced by the same people who brought us Three Identical Strangers and Don’t F*** With Cats and was directed by Felicity Morris – and it’s now in line to get the documentary to film treatment, as a full feature.

Netflix planning to turn The Tinder Swindler into a drama movie

via Netflix

The documentary film tells the jaw-dropping story of how Shimon Hayut posed as a billionaire heir, Simon Leviev, on Tinder and used this to con women out of hundreds of thousands, all over the world. He seduced women by treating them to luxury gifts and a fancy lifestyle, all paid for by previous women he had scammed. In the film, Cecilie Fjellhøy, Pernilla Sjoholm and Ayleen Charlotte speak of how much they lost whilst being conned by Shimon Hayut.

Shimon called himself the “Prince of Diamonds” and lured the women to open up huge lines of credit which he would use to fund his lavish and luxury lifestyle. He would say he needed the cash as threats had been made against him and his life depended on it and would then disappear. A potential movie would tell a dramatised version of these events.

via Netflix

We’ve seen this happen before with similar types of stories – we were first introduced to a drama version of Dirty John, and then given a documentary version, Dirty John: The Dirty Truth. Dirty John tells the true story of the life of John Meehan, a con artist. He met Debra Newall on a dating site and told her he was a doctor, which he wasn’t. Their relationship got intense very quickly, and soon he had convinced Debra to cut off her immediate family. Debra then found documents to prove his lies and detailing his previous arrests and restraining orders against women he had previously dated.

The Tinder Swindler is available on Netflix now, no further details of a movie have been released. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.