What exactly happened with Jerry from Cheer and the latest in his criminal case

Season two of the show is out now and features interviews with alleged victims

Cheer on Netflix created a huge hype around the world of Navarro College cheer. Upon its release it became a massive hit for Netflix, and a lot of the cheerleaders and people featured in the show became overnight celebs. But this was soon tarnished when Cheer star Jerry Harris was in the centre of a court case – accused of production of child pornography.

Harris was arrested as season two of the show was filming, and in episode five of the second season, titled “Jerry,” several people involved in the case are interviewed including emotional first-hand interviews with two alleged victims. Here’s exactly what happened in the case and the latest updates within it.

*This article contains details of alleged sexual exploitation of minors including explicit messages and evidence given in court*

What happened with Cheer star Jerry Harris and the latest update in his criminal court case now

via Netflix

In September 2020, Jerry from Cheer was accused of production of child pornography and his case was taken to court

In 2020, Jerry Harris was accused of production of child pornography and soliciting sex and explicit photos from minors. The allegations were made by two 14-year-old twin boys who said Jerry harassed them on social media and whilst they were at cheer competitions. This allegedly started when the boys were aged 13 and Jerry was 19 – at the time of his arrest Jerry was 21.

FBI agents executed a search warrant at Harris’ home in Naperville, Illinois, after being told that he may have asked for sexually explicit photos and sex from minors. The claims were put forward by Varsity Brand, a cheerleading company that Harris had worked with. In letters to the police, Varsity’s chief legal officer Burton Brillhart said the company was made aware of “inappropriate sexual conduct” allegations against Jerry.

Jerry was later charged, and in court documents screenshots came out. One showed a number saved in one of the boys’ phone as “Jerry Harris” and a message from him saying “Hey btw I found a place for us to do stuff it’s actually pretty good haha”. A Snapchat message, allegedly from Harris, was also shown in the documents. The screenshot showed a shot of Harris’ face with the message: “Would you ever want to fuck?”

via Netflix

In December 2020, prosecutors claimed that Harris had received and attempted to receive child pornography, as well as used the internet to “persuade, induce, and entice” a minor to engage in sexual activity. He has also been sued by the twin brothers.

A rep for Harris denied all claims, saying in a statement: “We categorically dispute the claims made against Jerry Harris, which are alleged to have occurred when he was a teenager. We are confident that when the investigation is completed the true facts will be revealed.”

In episode five of season two of Cheer, the Jerry Harris case is explained. The Navarro cheerleaders talk about when they heard the news, and some recall “not being able to wrap their heads around” it and thinking “this can’t be true”. The two twin boys, Charlie and Sam, decided to be named and interviewed for the series. The boys allege Jerry asked for their ages and they said they were 13 before they were asked for inappropriate pictures. They say they were star struck by Jerry, and didn’t want him to not like them so sent the pictures.

via Netflix

In documents first obtained by Buzzfeed News, prosecutors allege Harris targeted multiple boys and sexually assaulted a 15-year-old boy. The papers claim Harris, “by his own admission”, assaulted a 15-year-old boy “in an unlocked public bathroom, during an event attended by dozens of responsible adults” in 2019. The papers allege there are up to 10 victims of abuse from Jerry Harris.

Jerry’s legal team refused to be interviewed for the Netflix series.

Now, Jerry is in prison and is awaiting trial

via Netflix

At the end of episode five of season two of Cheer, an update in the case is given which reads: “Jerry has been held at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago since his arrest in September 2020. He still awaits trial. If convicted, he faces a mandatory minimum fifteen-year sentence.”

No court date has been set as of yet, and Harris faces four sexual exploitation counts along with the charge for production of child pornography. He still denies all claims against him and has pleaded not guilty. Each sexual exploitation of children charge carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison, an enticement charge carries a minimum of 10 years imprisonment.

Season two of Cheer is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.