Molly-Mae Hague lost Instagram followers since podcast interview

Molly-Mae has now lost over 40k followers after her podcast interview going viral

Yikes

Molly-Mae has now lost over 40,000 Instagram followers since comments she made in a podcast interview went viral last week. People called out her “tone-deaf” comments, where she said to make money people just need to work harder, completely ignoring social inequality.

Last week, Molly-Mae lost 20,000 followers following the backlash, but over the weekend people have continued to unfollow the influencer and Creative Director of PrettyLittleThing. According to SocialBlade, she lost 19,619 followers on Friday, a further 18,281 on Saturday and another 2,797 yesterday (Sunday). This means Molly-Mae Hague has now lost a total of 40,697 followers.

Speaking on The Diary Of A CEO podcast with Steven Bartlett, Molly-Mae said we all have “the same 24 hours in the day”, and “if you want something enough, you can achieve it”. “You’re given one life and it’s down to you what you do with it. You can literally go in any direction. When I’ve spoken about that in the past I have been slammed a little bit, with people saying ‘it’s easy for you to say that because you’ve not grown up in poverty, so for you to sit there and say we all have the same 24 hours in a day is not correct.’ But, technically, what I’m saying is correct. We do,” she said.

In a statement via her Molly-Mae responded to the backlash, saying: “Molly did a podcast interview in December about her own rise to success. If you listen to the full conversation and interview Molly was asked about how the nature of her potential grows and how she believes in herself. This part of the interview was discussing time efficiency relating to success.

“Molly refers to a quote which says ‘We all have the same 24 hours in a day as Beyonce’. She was discussing her own experience and how she can resonate with this specific quote. Her opinion on if you want something enough you can work hard to achieve it is how she keeps determined with her own work to achieve more in her own life. Molly is not commenting on anyone else’s life or personal situation she can only speak of her own experience.

“If you listen to this interview you can see the whole conversation was about her own personal circumstances, how she has grown up and this small clip in the conversation was talking about a quote that inspires her. Social media users have shared a short snippet from this interview with words such as ‘if you are homeless buy a house’ and ‘if you are poor be poor’ these are absolutely not Molly’s words, these are not Molly’s thoughts and this isn’t at all the meaning or thought behind that conversation.”