pinkpantheress

Here’s everything we know about TikTok star and BBC Sound of 2022 winner PinkPantheress

She studies film at a London uni

So PinkPantheress just won BBC Sound of 2022, an award which has long been an indicator of future success. It’s mad to think the 20-year-old only started releasing music a year ago, often trialling her sounds on TikTok. Although she now has 1.1m followers on the app, her real name and much of her identity is shrouded in mystery with her only recently revealing her face. Speaking to The BBC, she said: “I find it easier to not lay every single card on the table. I like my privacy and I felt like, if I have my music out and my face everywhere, it would start getting too much for people.”

Here’s everything we know about PinkPantheress:

PinkPantheress studies film at a uni in London

Originally from Bath, PinkPantheress is now studying film at a uni in London. As a teenager, she worked at her local Co-op, stacking shelves and working behind the tills. At this time, the only thing that motivated her was making music.

At first she became obsessed with Michael Jackson before moving onto emo rock like Panic! At The Disco. She recalls a time when she tried to put a Panic! CD on in the car and her Dad turned it off.

From that moment, she kept her music private from her family. “I didn’t want to tell anyone because I felt they’d laugh at me, so it was hard in that respect,” she told The BBC.

She’s had two Top 40 singles already

PinkPantheress had been writing and producing for her friend MaZz before trialling her own stuff on TikTok in January last year. She started making songs late at night in her uni room, challenging herself to do one tune a day.

@pinkpantheress I need to find new lyrical content #fyp #love #foryoupage ♬ pain – 😘🙈☺️

A lot of her songs sample Drum and Bass or Garage tracks and feature her own airy vocals over the top. She’s had two Top 40 singles, her song Pain has over 129 million plays on Spotify and Coldplay did a BBC Live Lounge cover of Just For Me. If that wasn’t enough, now she’s only gone and won BBC Sound of 2022. It’s surely a sign of big things to come for the young star!