Ranked: Which is the best season of YOU on Netflix, according to Rotten Tomatoes

This is my equivalent of rating a favourite child

For a lot of people, waiting for the third season of YOU was an endurance task. It was the hardest thing we’ve had to do in a long, long time. Imagine waiting for Christmas, birthdays, New Year and any other exciting date all at once, and you might come close. And that’s because YOU is one of Netflix’s biggest shows right now, and it’s become not just a series, but a movement. Many will have opinions on which season of YOU on Netflix is definitively the best to them, but it’s time to see which has actually been scored the highest.

Season one was filled with novelty, the concept of the show was new and the shock factor of learning what Joe Goldberg was like was intense. Season two had a deeper storyline, and went into depth with the characters and introduced us to Love, and her twisted background and family life. Then there’s season three – where do we even begin? It was emotional. And of course, full of more murder than ever before. There are arguments for why each season could be the best one yet.

Here’s how each season of Netflix series YOU performs on Rotten Tomatoes, and therefore which one has been ranked as the best.

3. Season two – 87 per cent

Which is the best season of YOU on Netflix ranked by score on Rotten Tomatoes

via Netflix

Season two was the first time we met Love and the Quinn family. Joe had moved to LA to get away from Candace and the drama of Beck’s death, but somehow had brought his glass murder box with him and set it up in a storage unit. His new identity of Will Bettelheim was causing him a lot of trouble, and Joe’s way of getting out of it? Killing people. Oh, and we learn *a lot* about Love Quinn, too.

Critics rated season two the lowest of all three seasons, with an 87 per cent score. This is the lowest, but is still “certified fresh” by Rotten Tomatoes’ standards, and is a very impressive rating to get. The audience score for season two is 83 per cent – which is actually the highest audience score for all three seasons, so at least the viewers loved it!

The critic consensus reads: “Penn Badgley’s perversely endearing serial stalker keeps looking for love in all the wrong places during a second season that maintains the subversive tension while adding some welcome variations on the series’ formula.”

2. Season one – 93 per cent

via Netflix

Ah season one, where it all began. Where were you when you first met Joe Goldberg? In season one everything was shocking at novel and, despite her obvious annoyances, Beck was a very good character to introduce Joe’s obsessions with. The local bookstore worker and the student writer turned into our favourite New York toxic couple and the rest is history.

The critic score on Rotten Tomatoes for season one is an impressive 93 per cent, which is very high. The audience score is 80 per cent – and audience scores are usually lower so this is very good too. Season one came second in both the critic and viewer scores, out of all three seasons. The critic consensus for season one reads: “YOU pairs thrilling drama with trashy fun to create an addictive social media horror story that works its way under the skin — and stays there.”

1. Season three – 96 per cent

via Netflix

Out of all three seasons of YOU on Netflix, season three has been ranked as the best. The most recent instalment sees Love and Joe head off to suburban paradise Madre Linda in an attempt to have a fresh start with their son, Henry. However it’s not long before Joe is back to his obsessive ways and Love is chaotically plotting the murder of half the neighbours.

Season three might have the highest rating with the critics and overall on Rotten Tomatoes, but it scores quite low with the audience rating. It gets 64 per cent with the audience, which is actually the lowest of all three seasons. The critic consensus of season three reads: “YOU takes its thrilling saga to the suburbs with superb results, made all the more delicious by Penn Badgley and Victoria Pedretti’s committed performances.”

All three seasons of YOU are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.