Sadiq Khan has announced the Night Tube will be reopening from 27th November

However it won’t be all lines opening

Parts of the Night Tube will be reopening from 27th November, Sadiq Khan has announced, following a campaign calling for the service to be reinstated over fears for women’s safety.

The Central and Victoria lines will run late again, but other lines – including the Northern – will have to wait, with Khan saying those will open as “soon as practicable”.

The mayor said the move will help businesses, but also “provide an additional safe, reliable transport option.”

TfL said the Central and Victoria lines were the busiest parts of the Night Tube. Other lines – the Jubilee, Northern, and Piccadilly – are unlikely to reopen this year.

Over 135,000 people have signed a petition calling on Khan to reinstate the Night Tube, set up in the wake of the murders of Sarah Everard and Sabina Nessa.

“The running of a well-lit and well-connected tube network, with platform cctv and appropriately trained security staff serves as the best transport option to ensure millions of women across London can get home safely in the evenings and at night this coming winter,” the petition’s creator, Ella Watson wrote.

Announcing the reopening, Sadiq Khan said: “The reason why I was so keen to be the first Mayor in London’s history to start the Night Tube in 2016 and to restart it now, after the Covid pause, is because I know how important this is to London’s thriving night-time economy, to London’s recovery and to the confidence and safety of everyone travelling home at night, particularly women and girls. I am determined to make our city as safe as possible for all Londoners.”