sabina nessa

Sabina Nessa was killed five minutes from her house, Metropolitan Police reveal

Sabina was on her way to the pub to see friends

Sabina Nessa was murdered five minutes from her house on her way to meet friends at the pub the Metropolitan Police has revealed.

Sabina was a 28-year-old teacher was reported missing last Friday. Her body was discovered in Cator Park in Kidbrooke, Greenwich, 24 hours after she was reported missing.

The Metropolitan Police has launched a murder investigation following the discovery of her body.

Detective Inspector Joe Garrity said Sabina was meant to arrive at the pub to see her friends and her journey should have taken her five minutes.

He said: “Sabina never arrived at the pub and is thought to have been murdered as she walked through the park.

“Sabina’s journey should have taken just over five minutes but she never made it to her destination. We know the community are rightly shocked by this murder – as are we – and we are using every resource available to us to find the individual responsible.”

A man in his 40s was arrested on suspicion of murder but was released under further investigation. A post-mortem examination took place on Monday however the results were inconclusive.

Sabina was a primary school teacher and had previously studied sociology at the University of Greenwich.

Her family and friends have spoken out about their pain on losing her and the shock they are experiencing.

Her cousin Zubel Ahmed told the BBC Sabina was the most caring and kindest person and her parents are currently inconsolable.

He said: “We’re still in shock. It’s been a few days but it’s still not sunk in yet.

“We are all truly devastated. Her parents are absolutely shocked, they’re inconsolable still and understandably so, to hear of their daughter being taken away from them by some cowardly man is just horrific.

“She honestly was the most caring person, kindest, sweetest girl you could meet. Sabina’s heart was as good as gold, she never had a bad word to say about anyone. Her sister is going to miss her so much.”

A vigil is being organised for Sabina this Friday at 7pm in Lewisham.

Featured image credit: Metropolitan Police