Ranked: The Islanders who were truly wronged with their heart race challenge outfits

The producers should issue an apology for doing Mary so dirty

Oh, Mary. The heart race challenge finally arrived on Love Island 2021 last night and the nation let out a simultaneous weep when she came out…dressed as a mermaid. But Mary joins a long list of past Islanders who deserve a written apology for how awful their heart race challenge outfits were.

Sometimes it’s as though they blow the entire budget on one Islander whose outfit steals the show, and the rest are just given whatever is left over from the lost property box. From awful headpieces, to just head to toe disasters – here is every single time a Love Island contestant was done dirty by the heart race challenge outfits.

10. Georgia, 2018

via ITV

Georgia’s Love Island heart race challenge outfit was great – but she deserves a shoutout for the headpiece and the headpiece alone.

9. Curtis, 2019

The worst ever outfits worn for the Love Island heart race challenge

via ITV

Remember when Curtis invented the heart race challenge on Love Island 2019? Truly iconic, but an awful headpiece and sparkly shorts none the less. Only Curtis Pritchard could rock up in that outfit and still manage to make it TV gold.

8. Chris, 2019

via ITV

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE IF HE HAD DITCHED THE GLOVES. He looks like a mime artist. Sorry, Chris.

7. Anton, 2019

via ITV

It’s the shorts. I don’t know why, just the shorts.

6. Francesca, 2019

via ITV

Francesca had only met the guys the day before and now she’s lap dancing for them dressed as a saucy secreatary. But in all honesty, she looked more like that one supply teacher who didn’t follow the dress-code. Understandable though, the budget that year was clearly used for Maura’s outfit.

5. Alex, 2018

via ITV

I know the boys just whip off their outfits straight away, but what are these trousers? Are they meant to be sexy? He just looks very…wet?

4. Dani, 2018

via ITV

Dani Dyer was the nation’s sweetheart of 2018. She deserved more than a sub-par cheerleader outfit. And the pompoms? Why?

3. Jake, 2021

via ITV

The Viking? This was more of a sleep paralysis demon than sexy. Why did the producers feel the need to throw in this head piece? I’m getting more Finland at Eurovision in 2006 than Love Island Heart Race Challenge 2021.

2. Grace, 2018

via ITV

You probably don’t even remember Grace from the 2018 series, but she was brought back from Casa Amor by Dr Alex. Ahead of the heart race challenge she admitted in the Beach Hut that it “wasn’t really her thing”. She was meant to be a sexy nurse, but all she was given was a cheap looking white scrub and a stethoscope – clearly the entire budget was blown on Megan Barton-Hanson’s drop dead outfit.

1. Mary, 2021

via ITV

I’m reporting the Love Island producers to Ofcom for crimes against Mary. She was truly, truly wronged more than any Love Islander we have ever seen. The awful thing is as well, she really tried to rock it. But there is just no coming back from being put in that god awful wig. Was the wig necessary? And the shape of the skirt? She could hardly move in it! Imagine walking into the dressing room, seeing all the outfits lined up and realising that yours was that one. Heartbreaking. I feel for her, I really do.

Love Island 2021 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.