uk pride events 2021

All the Pride events happening around the UK this summer

What’s a summer party without Katie Price and the Vengaboys?

After the tragic cancellations of last year’s Pride events due to the Covid pandemic, this summer 2021 everyone’s favourite LGBTQ+ celebrations are finally back all around the UK.

Glittery, boozy and messy Pride is simply the highlight of the year. Get ready for drag queens, parades and your favourite gay icons performing.

Unfortunately, some Pride events originally planned have had to be cancelled, most notably Brighton, Newcastle and Edinburgh Prides. Whilst some such as Cardiff and Glasgow are yet to confirm whether they plan to go ahead. However, there’s still plenty of places to enjoy and celebrate Pride across the UK.

Here are all the Pride events happening around the UK in summer 2021:

Manchester Pride

From the 27th-30th August, Manchester’s weekend-long Pride is set to be the biggest and best in the UK this summer. Zara Larsson, Sigala and Sophie Ellis-Bextor are just some of those headlining the concert this year.

The main festivities will still be in the Gay Village where Manchester’s gay district will be absolutely rammed and full of everything that could possibly be rainbow coloured. Parties will be continuing well into the night and Manchester Pride’s unique length means you can set yourself up for a whole four day bender.

London Pride

Pride in London will be taking over the capital on the 11th of September this year rather than its usual June date. With millions pouring onto the streets and shutting down swathes of central London with an enormous parade it’s immense to be a part of, although do expect to lose your friends at least half a dozen times.

After the parade celebrations continue throughout London’s gay venues in Soho and elsewhere, including London’s biggest gay club, Heaven.

Mighty Hoopla, South East London

On the 4th September, the UK’s best LGBTQ+ music festival takes over Brockwell Park in South East London.

Mighty Hoopla is the peak of modern LGBTQ+ culture, with Atomic Kitten, Cheryl, Becky Hill and Gabrielle just some of the icons taking to the stage this year.

There’s also a whole host of other performers including your favourite Drag Race contestants, Katie Price, Charity Shop Sue, Sink the Pink and Horse Meat Disco.

If you line it up right this year you can have three consecutive weekends of queer fun from Manchester to Mighty Hoopla to London Pride.

Birmingham Pride

On the 25th-26th September, Birmingham Pride lights up the city. Cheryl’s got a busy schedule this year as she’ll also be at Birmingham Pride alongside Boney M., Katy B and Riton.

There’ll also be plenty of drag queens to go round including Drag Race’s iconic Baga Chipz. After parties of course always set to follow in Birmingham’s own Gay Village.

London Trans+ Pride

Pride isn’t just a celebration it’s a protest. This year London Trans+ Pride will be taking place for the third year, setting off from Wellington Arch on the 26th June at 2pm.

As attacks on the Trans+ community intensify and transphobia continues to destroy lives, it’s more important than ever to stand with the community. Pride started as a protest with the Stonewall riots and it always will be until the entire LGBTQ+ community achieves liberation.

Durham Pride

With Newcastle’s Northern Pride officially staying online for another year, Durham might be the best bet for a Pride in the North East this year. On the 31st July Durham Pride will be taking place at The Sands with drag queen host, Tess Tickle.

Southampton Pride

The south’s “fastest growing” Pride is set to return on Saturday the 28th of August at Guildhall Square.

A more local affair, Southampton Pride still has plenty of heart and soul to go round.

Bristol Pride

Bristol’s festivities this year will span two weeks of events from the 3rd to 16th July but the main event will be on Saturday the 10th July at Castle Park. After that the party continues at Bristol O2 Academy from 10pm.

One of the most inclusive and progressive cities Bristol Pride is certain to make everyone feel welcomed and loved.

By far the biggest Pride in the South West, it has a great focus on culture beyond the main pride with everything from theatre to drag workshops and a dog show across the whole two weeks.

The Tab’s Pride reporting series is putting a focus on highlighting LGBTQ+ issues and celebrating queer voices across UK campuses.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story you can contact Switchboard, the LGBTQ+ helpline, on 0300 330 0630 or visit their website. You can also find help through The Mix. 

If you’ve got a story you’d like to tell us – whether it’s an incident of homophobia on campus, an experience you’d like to share, or anything you think we should hear, get in touch in confidence by emailing [email protected]

Read more from The Tab’s Pride series:

• We asked young LGBTQ+ people to tell us their queer icons and heroes

• I thought everything gave me the ick. Turns out I’m just gay

• Take this quiz to find out how much you actually know about LGBTQ+ history

You can find all articles from The Tab’s Pride series here

Featured image before edits via Mercedes Mehling on Unsplash