friends reunion

The Friends reunion is finally here and this is everything you find out in the episode

They actually reveal if Ross and Rachel were on a break

*Obviously spoilers ahead*

The day we’ve all been waiting for has finally arrived, the Friends reunion is here and it couldn’t BE any more nostalgic.

The episode has been teased for months and months and it’s finally been released in the UK this morning on Now and will be broadcast on Sky One this evening at 8pm.

The one off show features all six of the original cast members. They’re interviewed by James Corden, recreate iconic scenes and there’s plenty of celebrity cameos, including Lady Gaga singing Smelly Cat with Lisa Kudrow.

via HBO Max

However if you can’t wait until this evening to watch the show and find out all the juicy details, then this is everything you find out in the Friends reunion:

Jennifer Anniston and David Schwimmer had feelings for each other

Ok so this is wild. Jennifer and David both revealed that during the early seasons of Friends they had crushes on each other, which means Ross and Rachel were nearly a real life couple.

In the episode David confessed to having a crush on Jennifer, but nothing ever happened because the timing wasn’t right.

He said: “And at some point we were both crushing hard on each other but it was like two ships passing because one of us was always in a relationship and we never crossed that boundary, we respected that.”

Jennifer went onto say how she thought it would be sad if the first time they kissed was on the show.

She said: “I just remember honestly saying one time to David, ‘it’s gonna be such a bummer if the first time you and I actually kiss is gonna be on national television’… sure enough first time we kissed was in that coffee shop!”

They’re all still mates

The Friends cast always seemed to have incredible chemistry, so thank god they revealed they all still get on and are actually mates, because I don’t think my heart could take it if they weren’t.

Matthew Perry summed it up best when he said if ever they run into each other at a party they will just spend the whole night together.

He said: “The best way that I can describe it is, after the show was over, at a party or any kind of social gathering if one of us bumped into each other that was it, that was the end of the night, you just sat with the person all night long. That was it.

“You apologised to the people you were with, but they had to understand that you had met somebody special to you and you were going to talk to that person for the rest of the night.”

The part of Ross was written for David Schwimmer

via HBO Max

Not only does the Friends reunion feature the cast but also the creators Kevin S Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane.

In the episode they reveal they had written the part of Ross specifically for David Schwimmer and they had to persuade him to take it as he had quit TV at the time.

Matt LeBlanc was drunk the night before his audition

Matt LeBlanc revealed he turned up to his audition the morning after a night out. And it wasn’t just a hangover he was battling, he had also tripped the night before and taken a massive chunk out of his nose.

Still got the job though.

Courteney Cox wrote her lines on Monica’s table

I love Courteney Cox for this. In the episode Courteney confessed to writing some of her lines on Monica’s kitchen table.

And then Matt revealed he would go around and erase the lines from the table.

He said: “You had this big speech, you were struggling with it all week long, and you wrote it on the table. And when you weren’t looking I erased it and you got so mad at me!”

Matt LeBlanc really did break his arm

A really good episode of Friends is the one where Joey breaks his arm whilst jumping on the bed and has to wear a sling.

Turns out that wasn’t just a plot point, Matt really did hurt his arm and so they had to write in a storyline to incorporate the sling.

Whilst filming The One Where No One Is Ready Matt injured his shoulder and had to be taken to hospital during filming.

Weirdly Matt said it was the one episode they hadn’t done a group huddle before filming and so superstitiously they always did one for every other episode.

We still don’t know what Chandler’s job is

via HBO Max

Literally they still don’t know. Tom Selleck who played Richard Burke asked the question whilst they were playing the famous quiz.

And no one knew and Tom said there really isn’t an answer as they still don’t know.

They didn’t like Marcel

Wow poor Marcel the monkey, he deserved so much better. The cast were asked by the live audience in the episode if there was anything they didn’t like during filming and their answer was Marcel.

Courteney said she was scared of Marcel and David said he hated working with him. He said: “First of all, I want to say I love animals, I love primates. I have nothing against animals, I am an animal lover.

“The monkey, obviously it was trained, and it had to hit its mark and do its thing right at the perfect time.

“But what inevitably began to happen was, we would all have choreographed bits like timed out and it would get messed up because the monkey didn’t do it’s job right!”

Clearly Marcel wasn’t a fan of him as David reveals he would break up monkey grubs into his hair.

He said: “So the monkey would be sitting on my shoulder, take some grubs and break it up and then go like that. So I’d have monkey grubby hands all over and it was just time for Marcel to… fuck off!”

Um apparently they were on a break

via HBO Max

The question that has plagued humanity for years – were Ross and Rachel on a break? Turns out they were.

James Corden asked the two if they were on a break and they both said yes. I’m stunned.

There were loads of celebrity cameos

Before the show came out HBO revealed there would be plenty of celebrity cameos. And they did not disappoint.

In the show Cara Delevingne, Cindy Crawford and Justin Bieber modelled iconic looks from the show such as Ross’ leather pants, the holiday armadillo, Rachel’s bridesmaid dress and the Spudnik costume.

The other celebrity cameos were people explaining the effect Friends had on them. David Beckham said he was a “clean freak” because of Monica, Malala said she was a “Joey with a hint of Phoebe” and BTS member Kim Nam-joon said Friends helped him learn English after his mum bought him all the seasons on DVD.

Obviously the best was Lady Gaga singing Smelly Cat

Easily the prize for the best Friends cameo goes to Lady Gaga, who sung Smelly Cat with Lisa Kudrow.

It was probably the best part of the whole show and you need to watch it for yourself.

They didn’t remember Mr Heckles’ name

Ok so this is quite rude. In the quiz part of the show, they were asked what the name of their downstairs neighbour was and neither Courteney nor Jennifer knew it was Mr Heckles.

Jennifer guessed “Mr Wriggles”. Seriously Jennifer? Not impressed.

The live audience was a lot of pressure on Matthew Perry

A big reveal of the Friends reunion was the impact of the live audience on Matthew Perry.

Every episode of Friends was filmed in front of a live audience and Matthew said it took its toll on his mental health as he was obsessed with making people laugh.

He said: “I felt like I was going to die if they didn’t laugh. And it’s not healthy, for sure. But I would sometimes say a line and they wouldn’t laugh and I would sweat, and go into convulsions.

“If I didn’t get the laugh I was supposed to get, I would freak out. I felt like that every single night.”

Monica and Chandler stayed together because of the audience

Though the audience had an impact on Matthew, they were also behind one of his biggest storylines.

The show’s creator Marta Kauffman shared the reaction the audience had to Monica and Chandler sleeping together made them realise they had to make it a longer storyline.

She said the audience went wild when they saw Monica pop out of the bed in London and that reaction made them explore it. She said: “It was such a powerful moment that we knew we had to explore it more.”

Joey’s non identical twin nearly played real Joey

friends reunion details

via HBO Max

Joey did a lot of weird things during the show, and one moment was him finding a man to be his identical twin for a scientific study.

And the actor who ended up playing his non-identical twin was actually the same person who was up for the role of Joey. Like it was literally between him and Matt LeBlanc.

There is definitely not going to be a Friends movie

The news no one wanted to hear is there will be no more Friends episodes or movies.

James Corden asked the cast and Lisa Kudrow said it was up to the writers but they wouldn’t want to do it as everyone had a happy ending and they wouldn’t want to change that for new episodes to happen.

Lisa said: “I once heard Marta and David say, and I completely agree, that they ended the show very nicely, everyone’s lives are very nice, and they would have to unravel all those good things in order for there to be stories.

“And I don’t want anyone’s happy ending unravelled. Also, at my age, to be ‘floopy’? Stop. You have to grow up.”

They did say what they thought their characters would be doing though

friends reunion details

via HBO Max

Ok so I guess this is kind of something.

Jennifer said she thought Ross and Rachel would be married and would have kids, and Ross would still be playing with bones.

Courteney said she thinks Monica is still super competitive and big into the PTA. She said: “I think my character is still really competitive, her kids have probably graduated but she’s still in charge of the bake sale at elementary school.

“She’s got to keep things going, PTA. And you [to Matthew] are making me laugh every day.”

Lisa said she thought Phoebe would have moved to Connecticut, she said: “Phoebe is married to Mike, they’re probably in Connecticut they had kids and I thinks she was an advocate for her kids who were probably a little different, creating the arts program and stuff like that.”

And Matt said he thinks Joey would have opened a sandwich shop in Venice Beach. Which seems incredibly spot on.

Friends is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.