Love Island is accepting applications from LGBTQ+ contestants

The show is looking for contestants on Tinder

Love Island is currently accepting applications from LGBTQ+ individuals via Tinder for the next series taking place in June.

It was already known the Love Island team were teaming up with Tinder to source contestants but now it’s been confirmed they are not only open to straight contestants applying.  A spokesperson for ITV confirmed to the Metro they are looking for LGBTQ+ contestants and the only requirement to enter Love Island is that contestants are single and over 18.

They said: “Our only stipulation for applicants on Love Island is that they are over 18, single and looking for love.”

via ITV

The news of potential new applicants came after a few people on Twitter who identify as gay were being shown adverts on Tinder to apply for the show.

One person tweeted: “Hey @Tinder I keep getting Love Island ads for me to apply. I’m gay, I can’t go on this show, it’s for straight people. Can you not pls.”

Love Island bosses have previously said it would be difficult to mix different sexualities on the show.

In 2017 executive producer Richard Cowles said he would be interested in doing a “gay version” of the show but logistically it would be too difficult to mix the two.

He said: “I would like to see what a gay version of the show would be but trying to mix the two would be difficult.

“You are trying to create couples. It is not impossible and it is not something that we shy away from… but there is a logistical element which makes it difficult.”

Love Island is set to return in late June this year and will see contestants return to Mallorca to film the iconic dating show.

Love Island 2021 will air on ITV2 in June. For all the latest Love Island gossip, news, rumours and memes, make sure you like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook. 

Featured image credit via ITV