Regé-Jean Page, Netflix, Bridgerton, Duke of Hastings, season two

Regé-Jean Page will not feature in season two of Bridgerton, Netflix announces

There’s no Duke, so honestly what is even the point?!

It has been announced that Regé-Jean Page will not feature in the second season of Bridgerton. Netflix confirmed that the new episodes will not feature the Duke, but Daphne will continue to be a character in the show.

Announcing the heartbreaking news on Twitter, Netflix said: “Dearest Readers, while all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings,” the message began.

It continued: “We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family. Daphne will remain a devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer – more intrigue and romance than my readers may be able to bear.”

Regé-Jean Page added: “Pleasure and a privilege! An honour to be a member of the family – on and off screen, cast, crew and incredible fans – the love is real and will just keep growing.”

In another tweet from its main account, Netflix added: “You’ll always be our Simon, Regé.”

The second season will focus on the love story of Anthony Bridgerton and it has previously been announced that Simone Ashley will play Anthony’s love interest. Simone is best known for her role as Olivia in Sex Education and will play Kate Sharma, who is called Kate Sheffield in the Bridgerton books by Julia Quinn.

And no, this time it isn’t an April Fool. I truly am heartbroken, and I think we’re all going to need a few days to come to terms with this.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.