Kids growing up with Lil Nas X are so lucky, in my day all we had were these 16 memes
Yes, most of them are about Glee
Lil Nas X has just dropped his music video for Montero (Call Me By Your Name), which has been dubbed “unapologetically queer”, with people saying it’s so important. With the music video he also released a letter addressed to his 14-year-old self, talking about coming out and how he’d struggled with his sexuality when he was younger. Naturally the song’s an absolute bop, but everyone is talking about how Lil Nas X being so open with his sexuality will be helping an entire generation of queer people. Everyone is tweeting with the caption “Kids growing up with Lil Nas X are so lucky, in my day all we had was this”, followed by memes of an LGBTQ+ character, music video or other piece of queer culture we loved whilst growing up.
We all know representation is important, and gay people had pretty much none of it when we were younger. You guessed it – most of the tweets are about Glee. But Lil Nas X and these tweets show how much has changed since we were younger, as well as being a good way of looking back on the slightly, uh, questionable things we all used to be obsessed with.
Here are 16 of the best ‘Kids growing up with Lil Nas X are so lucky, in my day all we had was this’ tweets and memes:
1. I don’t know what’s going on here and at this point I’m too afraid to ask
2. Hey batter batter hey batter batter swing
3. ‘Part one’
4. This is peak 2013
5. So we really all had the same childhood huh?
6. God I love them
7. Okay but actually just every single Barbie film
8. Wish we didn’t have this particular one x
9. Have another one of *that* music video, for luck
10. This was the only gay representation we needed
12. I’m just gonna leave this here, without comment
13. How was this scene allowed?