Glastonbury has been cancelled this year, according to Mel B
The festival has yet to officially confirm the news
Glastonbury has been cancelled this year, according to Mel B, who says she was told today the festival will not be happening.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, the Spice Girls singer hinted that the group had been lined up for the Sunday afternoon legends slot – providing the basis for her insider knowledge.
The festival has yet to be officially called off, and organiser Emily Eavis has responded by insisting there is “no news this end”.
Nope, no news this end. Will let you know right here as soon as there is news
— Emily Eavis (@emilyeavis) January 4, 2021
Festival founder Michael Eavis was spreading a message of hope on Saturday as he was vaccinated.
“Wouldn’t it be wonderful to get the majority of our population vaccinated before June 2021, so that we can celebrate next summer in proper “Glastonbury style’,” he told Somerset Live.
Mel B just said to us on @bbc5live that she was told today that Glastonbury 2021 has been cancelled.
We’re making calls to confirmation.
— Scott Bryan (@scottygb) January 4, 2021
However, things haven’t been looking good for the festival for some time, in part owing to the amount of time it takes to set up the mammoth Somerset festival. Emily Eavis said the festival would avoid bankruptcy if it could “make a firm call either way in advance” on cancellation.
In December, The Sun reported that booking teams for the festival had been told to stand down, “effectively postponing the festival for a second year running.”