New Netflix true crime is about a man who says he was wrongfully convicted of murder

Sean Ellis was 19 when he was found guilty, and now faces his fourth trial

A new Netflix true crime docuseries, called “Trial 4” will tell the story of a man who says he was wrongly convicted of murdering a police officer when he was aged just 19.

The eight part series speaks to the accused, Sean K. Ellis, himself as he faces his fourth trial – which may end up in him going back to prison. Ellis had previously been sentenced to life and was then released, when new evidence came to light.

Here’s everything you need to know about Trial 4, before its release on Netflix next month.

Trial 4, Netflix, Sean K Ellis, murder, trial, true crime, case, new, documentary, series, release date, trailer, synopsis, story, about, Boston, police, cop, John Mulligan

via Netflix

Trial 4 is all about Sean Ellis, who says he was wrongfully convicted of murder

Netflix true crime series Trial 4 will tell the story of Sean K Ellis, who has spent 22 years in prison after being convicted of the 1993 murder of Boston police detective, John Mulligan. Ellis was put on trial three times within the space of a year, and now faces his fourth trial – which could see him back in prison for life.

After his first three trials for armed robbery and first-degree murder, Ellis, aged 19 at the time, was found guilty in 1995 and sentenced to life. His first two trials resulted in a hung jury. In 2015, Ellis was freed from jail on bail, after a judge ordered a new trial saying evidence about how the case had been handled had been withheld from the defence. Ellis, who has always maintained his innocence, is now awaiting trial number four and the prospect of life behind bars again.

via Netflix

The series will contain interviews from Ellis himself, as well as a Boston Globe writer who says “the cops were just looking for someone to pin this murder on” and others who think Ellis is innocent, as well as some who think he is guilty.

The Netflix synopsis for the series reads: “Charged as a teen in the 1993 killing of a Boston cop, Sean K. Ellis fights to prove his innocence while exposing police corruption and systematic racism.”

Watch the trailer for Trial 4 on Netflix here:

Trial 4 will be available on Netflix on November 11th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.