These Black Lives Matter petitions still need signatures to reach their target

Get signing

After the death of George Floyd, a huge number of petitions have been going around on Instagram and Twitter to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement. The Justice for George Floyd petition is on its way to 18 million signatures, and you can sign it here.

Though the George Floyd petitions has received significant attention, there are still many petitions that require support. A Twitter thread has highlighted a number of petitions that haven’t reached their goal and urgently require signatures.

The thread was started last night and features over 20 petitions which are seeking justice for the deaths of black people. Amongst them are the petitions for Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Aubery and Belly Mujinga, which have still not reached their goals.

These are just some of the petitions that still need your signature:

Justice for Breonna Taylor

The Justice for Breonna Taylor petition is so close to its target of six million signatures. The petition is aiming to seek justice for Breonna after police entered her home on a “no-knock” warrant as part of a drugs raid. Breonna was shot eight times and died.

Breonna would have turned 27-years-old last Friday and now the petition seeks justice for her death in a number of ways. Firstly, the police involved with her death have still not been charged and the petition seeks to address this. The petition also seeks to have Breonna’s family paid in damages for wrongful death and negligence of the LMPD.

The petition also requests a special prosecutor is brought in to investigate the Louisville Police department and finally the petion calls for Congress to discuss the “no knock” warrant.

Sign the Justice for Breonna Taylor petition here.

Justice for Ahmaud Arbery

The Justice for Ahmaud Arbery petition is aiming to reach four and a half million signatures. Ahmaud Arbery was jogging in February when confronted by Gregory and Travis McMichael.

Gregory McMichael told police he believed Ahmaud resembled the suspect of a number of break ins. Gregory and Travis followed Ahmaud and confronted him, before shooting Ahmaud, resulting in his death.

The two men are now in custody, however the petition still seeks justice for Ahmaud’s death. You can sign the Justice For Ahmaud Arbery petition here.

Justice for João Pedro

The Justice for João Pedro petition is aiming to reach three million signatures and is currently only 300,000 away from that target.

14-year-old João was killed in May as part of a drug raids by the Brazilian police. João’s death is just one of the many killings of Brazil’s black youth.

João’s death is currently under investigation and the police say he was caught in a cross fire as they chased gang members. The petition aims to seek justice for this young boy’s life.

You can sign the Justice for João Pedro petition here.

Police Accountability Act of 2020

This petition is currently on its way to 500,000 signatures. The petition to the Department of Justice seeks to address police brutality.

The Police Accountability Act of 202o would establish an independent committee which would handle  “the investigation of complaints involving police members in a timely manner”. It also wishes to reform “the criminal justice in the department of public safety to reduce police brutality and/or excess police force.”

You can sign the Police Accountability Act of 2020 petition here.

Hands Up Act

The Hands Up Act petition has over two million signatures and is looking to get to three million. The petition, set up by Travis Washington, aims to create legislation that prohibits police officers from shooting unarmed citizens.

The petition which is being sent to the U.S House of Representatives, United Nations, U.S. Senate, Democratic National Committee and Nancy Pelosi suggests that officers should receive a 15 year prison sentence if they shoot an unarmed person.

You can sign the Hands Up Act petition here.

Justice for Belly Mujinga

The Justice for Belly Mujinga petition is aiming to get to three million signatures and is currently on one and a half million. The CPS are now reviewing Belly’s case after her tragic death from coronavirus, which happened after she was spat on by a man who claimed to have coronavirus.

The petition is aiming to provide protection for those still working for Govia Thameslink Railway. According to the petition the staff members working there were not supplied with adequate PPE, which could have saved Belly’s life.

On June 5th Belly’s husband updated the petition to say the Thameslink staff are still not equipped with PPE. You can sign the Justice for Belly Mujinga petition here.

Justice for Tamir Rice

This petition has over one million signatures and is aiming to get to one and a half million. In 2014, 12-year-old Tamir Rice was playing with a toy gun when police officers pulled up and Tamir was shot nearly instantly on the spot. He died the next day.

The petition claims the County Prosecutor manipulated the grand jury process, no prosecutions were made and the man responsible for shooting Tamir was sacked a few years later for lying on his application form.

The petition is seeking for the U.S. Department of Justice to launch a federal investigation into the death of Tamir Rice. You can sign the Justice for Tamir Rice petition here.

Featured image credit before edits: Rodion Kutsaev on Unsplash