This you, tweets, twitter, Black Lives Matter, statements, hypocrisy, racism

‘This you?’ tweets are calling people out for hypocrisy over Black Lives Matter

They make a statement now, but people don’t forget the past

In the past few days a lot of brands, people and places have made statements about the Black Lives Matter movement in the wake of the death of George Floyd. But, lots of them have been getting it very, very wrong. Brands and people who have made controversial and some deemed as racist decisions in the past, are finally being called out for making half-hearted statements now. “This you?” tweets are being used all over Twitter to show that people don’t forget the past.

What are the “This you?” tweets?

Lots of brands and people have been making statements regarding the Black Lives Matter movement. These comments often mention standing together with the black community, offer thoughts to George Floyd’s family and oppose racism. However, many people think a lot of these are empty words. People on Twitter have been quote tweeting the statements and attaching screenshots, articles or reminders of how they haven’t stuck by their word like this in the past.

Here are some examples of ‘This you?’ tweets:

Oxford University

Cecil Rhodes is the previous Prime Minister of the Cape Colony, and is often seen as a massive racist.

Stephanie Pratt

Steph Pratt went on a Twitter rampage earlier this week, in which she wrote a number of insensitive tweets including “shoot the looters”, “Get it together America” and “Anyone else sobbing watching their town being burned down?”. Then people quickly pointed out she herself was arrested for shoplifting. She’s deleted the tweets since, but here are the receipts:

This you, twitter, tweets, Black Lives Matter, statement, movement, racism

L’Oreal Paris

L’Oreal made a statement about being in “solidarity with the Black community and against any injustice of any kind”. But that’s forgetting the brand fired it’s first ever transgender representative after she spoke out about racism and white supremacy.

Munroe Bergdorf herself also quote tweeted the statement, adding: “Excuse my language but I am SO angry. F*** YOU @lorealparis. You dropped me from a campaign in 2017 and threw me to the wolves for speaking out about racism and white supremacy. With no duty of care, without a second thought.”

In The Style

In The Style has since deleted its statement, so the array of “This you?” tweets about the clothing brand are also gone. But it has now released a follow up. The original got backlash and people accusing In The Style of being hypocritical because it doesn’t feature any black influencers in its social media posts.

Goldsmiths University

Goldsmiths made a statement about standing “shoulder-to-shoulder with Black students” despite reports finding that black students there don’t feel safe on campus. 

Oxford University, again

The controversial statue isn’t the only reason Oxford has been called out with its response to Black Lives Matter. Seven months ago, a black, blind student was dragged by his ankles from a debate at the prestigious Oxford Union.

Ghanaian postgrad Ebenezer Azamati said the incident on 17th October left him feeling “unwelcome” in the university and in the UK, and that he was treated as “not being human enough to deserve justice”. The union tried to bring disciplinary charges against him. Ebenezer Azamati’s defence said “a white blind man would not have been treated in the way he was.” Now, the union have apologised to him and withdrawn the charges.

All UK universities

One tweet literally calls out every university in the UK which has made anti-racism statements, as figures found less than one per cent of professors are black.

How to donate and support the Black Lives Matter movement:

Sign the Justice for George Floyd petition here.

To donate to the official George Floyd Memorial Fund to support his family with funeral costs click here.

To sign the Black Lives Matter “Defund the Police” petition sign here.

To donate to the Bail Out Project click here.

Here are even more helpful links to petitions you can sign, places you can donate (even if you have little money) and books and TV shows you can watch to help educate yourself.