This is where Aaron Hernandez’s family are now, after the Netflix documentary

Killer Inside explores the life and crimes of the former NFL player

The Aaron Hernandez case has been put back in the spotlight after Netflix released a documentary about his life earlier this month.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez is a three part docuseries which explores his crimes and includes exclusive courtroom footage and tapes of Hernandez’s phone calls from prison. Hernandez was one of the biggest NFL players of his generation before he was charged with first degree murder in 2013. He had just signed a $40 million contract with the New England Patriots football team. He was found guilty in 2015 and then died by suicide in 2017.

Here’s where the family of Aaron Hernandez are, since the Netflix documentary.

Where are the people involved in the Aaron Hernandez case now?

Shayanna Jenkins

Shayanna Jenkins was Aaron Hernandez’s fiancée. They had a child together and the documentary included clips of their phone calls when Aaron was in prison and details of their relationship. Aaron Hernandez and Shayanna Jenkins had met each other and started dating at high school. The final scenes of the documentary show a phone call between the pair declaring their love for each other.

Aaron Hernandez case, Where they are now, Fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, daughter, Avielle, mother, Terri, New England Patriots, contract, money, Netflix, documentary, Killer Inside, 2020, latest

Shayanna in a TV interview

It is thought that Shayanna Jenkins now lives in Rhode Island. In 2018, Shayanna shared the news on Instagram that she had given birth to a second child. She said: “I couldn’t be a luckier woman to have such a perfect little girl that’s prepared to become the best big sister, and even more blessed to welcome another baby girl to our home.” The father is reported as being former American footballer Dino Guilmette and it is unclear if Dino and Shayanna are still together.

Aaron Hernandez case, Where they are now, Fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, daughter, Avielle, mother, Terri, New England Patriots, contract, money, Netflix, documentary, Killer Inside, 2020, latest, Instagram, now, new

via Instagram @shayjhernandez

In an Instagram post on the anniversary of Aaron’s death last year, she shared a photo of him and their child captioned: “Today we think of you with heavy hearts and positive memories! Although you aren’t here physically Avielle and I speak about you often and keep you in close spirit. The energy and personality Avielle has is totally you! They say it takes a village and that’s very true, I’ve had a great support group overall … however I’d like to especially appreciate the men in Avielle’s life that have been the guidance she needs and more – she may not know it yet but you all have a huge impact on her life and Aaron wouldn’t want it any other way!!! Because of the emotional support you all have shown and provided – this day pushes me to be stronger and accomplish what Aaron may have wanted to. We love and miss you very much! May you continue to rest in peace.”

She has also spoken out about the documentary. In an Instagram post she said: “I wanted to let all of you sweet sweet souls know I have tried to read every message sent on IG and through email (positive and negative). The amount of support and positive energy is again unreal! I’m sure you will all understand how imperative it is to take some time away from social media.”

Is his fiancée entitled to money from The New England Patriots?

A big question after the Aaron Hernandez case is whether or not Shayanna Jenkins was entitled to the money in his contract with The New England Patriots after his death. The law is extensive and complicated, and nobody apart from her or those involved in the case can say for sure. But by what is suggested by the laws and the contract, it would appear Shayanna did not get the money.

Aaron Hernandez case, Aaron Hernandez, Where they are now, Fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, daughter, Avielle, mother, Terri, New England Patriots, contract, money, Netflix, documentary, Killer Inside, 2020, latest

via Netflix

A legal concept called abatement ab initio states that if someone dies during an appeal, the initial charge is void. It is thought that Aaron Hernandez committed suicide so his murder conviction would become null and his family would be entitled to all the money in his outstanding contract with NFL team, The New England Patriots.

According to fact checking site, Snopes:“When Hernandez was arrested for Lloyd’s murder in June 2013, the Patriots released him and refused to pay the remaining guaranteed money — a $3.25 million deferred signing bonus payment, and base salaries of $1.323 million and $1.137 million. They also declined to pay a $82,000 workout bonus that he had earned in June 2013.

“Hernandez lost his grievance, and his contract would likely prevent him from collecting any of the money now, despite the lack of a conviction on his record. Even though Hernandez was found not guilty of the 2012 double murder, the Patriots can reasonably argue that Hernandez didn’t represent his reckless behaviour during that time, and that when he signed the contract he was headed down the path of incarceration and unavailability.

Aaron Hernandez, Netflix, documentary, Killer Inside,

via Netflix

“Speculation holds that if Hernandez’s conviction were vacated it would posthumously restore his standing with the NFL, thereby entitling his next of kin to the wealth he would have accumulated if he had never been convicted. But that speculation presumes that since the legal doctrine triggered by Hernandez’s suicide could vacate his conviction, the NFL would somehow be bound by that outcome to pay out the contract’s promises to his family. However, the NFL is a business entity and not a court of law, and Hernandez’s contract was voided 90 minutes after his arrest based on ‘conduct unbecoming’, not on his conviction.”

Avielle Janelle Hernandez

Aaron’s daughter Avielle was five-years-old when Aaron died by suicide. She is 7-years-old now and has started school. In September last year her mother Shayanna posted a picture of her captioned: “1st grade!!!”

Terri Hernandez

Terri Hernandez (left) in court

Terri Hernandez is Aaron’s mother. According to The Daily News, since April 2013 when her son signed a massive $40 million contract with the New England Patriots, Terri Hernandez maintained her day job as an administrative secretary at the South Side School in Bristol. She also maintains her son’s innocence, telling The Bristol Press: “All I can say is that he will be cleared of all these charges in the end, just let it play out until the end.”

Right now it is believed that Terri lives in Farmington, Conn. She works on projects raising money for National Suicide Prevention.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez is available on Netflix now.