Image may contain: Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Forest, Flora, Troop, Team, Soldier, Military Uniform, Military, Army, Person, People, Human

Student took his own life after his rugby team shared comments about his sex life online

He became worried the comments would ruin his medical career

| UPDATED @global

Edward Senior, a medical student at Swansea University, took his own life after his rugby teammates shared private comments he'd made about his sex life.

The 22-year-old, known as Ted, spoke about a sexual encounter he'd had with a girl on a private group chat with his rugby teammates, which they then posted publicly on social media, according to The Telegraph.

He reportedly became worried that the comments would get him in trouble with the university and threaten his medical career.

Swansea University have refused to disclose whether they suspended Edward before his death.

A spokeswoman from the university said: "We were very saddened to hear of the death of Edward Senior, a student at our Medical School. Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends at this time."

After the incident, Edward returned to his family home, where he was found hanged in a woodland. Edward died on 10th February this year.

On Saturday the 10th of Feb the brother of a close friend tragically took his own life. Ted Senior was a 22 year old…

Posted by Oliver Thompson on Monday, February 26, 2018

Friends and family have been posting this message on Facebook: "On the 10th of February 2018, Ted Senior tragically took his own life. In the 22 years he lived, he had an unbelievable impact on so many people's lives. He had a rare ability to light up any room with his wide smile, mop of blonde hair and special charm.

"Ted was a friend to everyone and always did his upmost to help people in need. The life and soul of every situation, Ted was someone who embodied all the right values on how to live, and will undoubtedly leave a lifelong legacy in everyone's hearts.

"Ted achieved a huge amount in such a small space of time; he was a talented rugby player and had a great passion for all sports. More recently, he got into medical school after years of hard work and sacrifice.

"Ted was a son, a brother and a friend to many and will be sorely missed by everyone lucky enough to know him."

They have set up a GoFundMe page to raise money in memory of Edward, which has so far raised over £15,000.

The funds are being invested in projects and forums aimed at preventing a reoccurrence of a similar tragedy.

£7,000 was raised on the page in the first 24 hours and friends and family took part in the Bath Half Marathon on Sunday for the cause.

The funeral was meant to take place on 2nd March but was postponed due to adverse weather conditions. A memorial was held for Edward yesterday.

If you or anyone you know needs someone to talk to, please contact:

Samaritans: samaritans.org | 116 123

Mind: mind.org.uk | tel: 0300 123 3393 | text: 86483

The Mix: themix.org.uk | 0808 808 4994