Lancaster University students win prestigious engineering awards for academic excellence

The students have been recognised for their group projects by the Institution of Mechanical Engineering (IMechE)

Lancaster University Engineering students Brendan Green, Amaani Mores, and David Magee have won top awards at the IMechE awards.

Brendan, Amaani, and David were recognised and nominated by Lancaster University’s School of Engineering.

The awards were presented by Professor George Aggidis, who is Lancaster University’s Head of Energy Engineering, a fellow member of the IMechE (the Institution of Mechanical Engineering), and Board Member of the IMechE Fluid Machinery Group.

Brendan Green’s project entitled Design, Build, and Test of a Portable Low Level Portable Low Level Aqueous Tritium Detector received the IMechE project prize for the most outstanding project. Amaani Mores received the Best Project Certificate in Mechanical Engineering for her project, entitled Model of an electric vehicle capable of regenerative braking for the Lancaster University Formula Student Team. David Magee received the Best Project Certificate in Nuclear Engineering for his project, entitled “New Sintering Routes to Nuclear SIMfuels.”

The students were also given the chance to present their work to industry experts from companies including EDF, BAE Systems, Sulzer and Rolls Royce.

Professor George Aggidis said: “The students’ success and the quality of the projects they presented indicate the depth and breadth of the engineering teaching at Lancaster, with its project-based focus, producing outstanding engineers with the ability to attract recognition by industry and academia.”

Related articles recommended by this writer: