Attention Lancs! Light Up Lancaster is back this year with a brand new street food market

The festival is running for an additional day, with installations and performances scheduled from 2nd to 4th November

Light Up Lancaster has started to announce its schedule for 2023, with light art installations to be set up throughout the city from 2nd to 4th November.

The family-friendly festival is free to enter with music and dance performances scheduled alongside the annual art installations in many local venues and public spaces, including Kanteena, St John’s Church and Storey Gardens.

This year’s festival will run for an additional third day, while also including a new street food market brought to Market Square by Food Futures where visitors can buy hot food, cakes and drinks during the event.

Light Up Lancaster is an annual festival that began in 2013, and is currently in partnership with Lancaster BID, Lancaster City Council and The Dukes.

Additional funding and support is provided by various groups, organisations and institutions including Lancaster University and the Duchy of Lancaster. The festival is part of the Light up the North network.

This year’s theme is The Art of Words and includes ‘Crystal Flowers’ by Stevie Thompson, which features 600 individual hand made illuminated flowers in the Storey Gardens. Other displays include Imitating the Dog’s ‘Dear Einstein’ featuring projections, original songs and local singers, as well as an interactive storm sky  called ‘On the Curled Clouds’ by idontloveyouanymore in St John’s Church.

An Art Fair is scheduled from 11am-4pm on Saturday 4th November, where artists will be running creative stalls with a variety of activities.

It was recently announced that the annual fireworks display that usually concludes the festival has been cancelled due to high costs accompanied by the risk of it being called off due to rain.

The full list of festival events can be found here, with more installations set to be announced soon.

Featured images via Light Up Lancaster website.

Related articles recommended by this writer: