First year business student studying in Glasgow is currently trapped inside Titanic sub

19-year-old Suleman Dawood is on board with his dad

The teenager trapped in the currently missing submersible that was on an excursion to the Titanic’s wreck is a university student studying in Glasgow.

Suleman Dawood, 19, is a first year business student at the University of Strathclyde.

Contact was lost from the submersible on Sunday around ninety minutes into its voyage. Search parties are still looking for the Titanic sub.

Suleman was travelling with his father, Shahzada Dawood, a 48-year-old British businessman, who comes from one of Pakistan’s wealthiest families.

Along with Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate, the company that organises the Titanic excursions, the father and son are aboard the submersible “Titan” with British explorer Hamish Harding, and former French Navy diver Paul-Henry Nargeolet.

The teen was described as interested in volleyball, Rubik’s Cubes and a “big fan of science fiction literature and learning new things” in a family statement.

The University of Strathclyde confirmed to The Glasgow Tab this afternoon that Suleman is a student at the Strathclyde Business School and has just completed his first year.

A spokesperson for the university said: “We are deeply concerned about Suleman, his father and the others involved in this incident. Our thoughts are with their families and loved ones and we continue to hope for a positive outcome.”

At First Minister’s Questions in the Scottish Parliament, Humza Yousaf said: “I’m deeply concerned. I think we all are. But we’re all hoping, we’re all praying, for good news. My thoughts are very much with the families and the communities that are affected.”