Edinburgh’s iconic ‘Rascals’ club night to close its doors after eight years

We’re not crying, you are

Edinburgh’s acclaimed Rascals Thursday club night has announced its closure after eight years.

In a statement on Instagram, Rascals said that “all good things must come to an end”, citing “changing habits and financial pressures” have forced the club to face a “harsh reality”.

In their announcement, Rascals Thursday stated: “This is a moment we hoped would never come, and it’s hard to accept that the kind of parties we all loved may soon be a thing of the past.”

Every Thursday, Hip-Hop lovers flocked to Bourbon, more recently Shanghai, to enjoy the wonders of Rascals Thursday.

Known for its tribute nights to artists like Travis Scott and Drake, it became culturally iconic among Edinburgh students.

Created in 2016 by students from the University of Edinburgh, with eight years on the scene, Rascals has hosted 345 events, with over 150,000 attendees.

In true Rascals style, they are hosting a ‘Grand Finale’ on the 23rd of May at Shanghai Nightclub, after which Rascals will be no more.

Rascals Thursday stated: “As we prepare to close this chapter, we ask you to support your local nightlife. It’s your energy and passion that keep the scene alive and we hope others avoid our fate.”

Cover image via Rascals

Related articles recommended by this writer: