Calling all film fans: Here’s why you don’t want to miss the next Iris Prize

From exclusive parties to showings of incredible LGBTQ+ films, you should all be excited for Iris Prize

Today is the last day of the annual Iris Prize and it’s celebrating its 17th year.

Iris is an LGBTQ+ centred media/film organisation that celebrates stories told by everyone, for everyone. The organisation runs Iris Prize, the world’s largest LGBTQ+ film festival, which took place over the last week.

Winners of the Iris Prize get £30,000 to make a new short film, and previous winners have gone on to win BAFTAs and other massive awards.

Attendees were in for an explosive few days. From an opening night party DJ’d by Jolene Dover, who many of you may know from The Kings, to a special Iris gig by Voyer.  There were also exclusive parties throughout the week.

There was industry talks with amazing people such as Russell T. Davies, writer of Channel 4’s It’s a Sin and one of the writers of Doctor Who, and Euros Lyn, director of Netflix’s Heartstopper. As well as talks and screenings of films daily starring names such as Billy Porter, Bella Ramsey and so many more.

If you’re reading this and thinking “oh my god, I HAVE to go” then you’re in luck – student tickets are five pounds every year.

The ticket also gives you access to the films and just as important, the bar. You will also have a one-of-a-kind opportunity to watch live Q&As, and support a festival which is an integral part of Cardiff’s film and media culture.