All the events happening in Cardiff for Black History Month

It’s Black History month in the UK and here’s what Cardiff are doing to commemorate and celebrate

Black History Month has happened every October in the UK since 1987 with this year’s theme being “Saluting our Sisters”, alongside the fight against prejudice and racial bias. The focus of this theme is to recognise the efforts and contributions of Black Women’s work and achievements which are often sidelined when discussing Black History.

So here’s a guide as to what’s happening in Cardiff this October for BHM, from movie nights at the SU to a talk on the Black British experience at Waterstones.

11th October 1pm – 2:30pm – Breaking Down Barriers Healthcare Seminar

If you are interested in a more “perspective-taking” approach Bami Adenipekum, an author, health equity consultant and a non-executive board member of Welsh Governments Citizen’s Voice Body is giving a talk in Lecture Theatre one at the University Hospital of Wales, alongside other speakers.

This seminar will address the racial inequalities in the healthcare system and discuss the speaker’s experiences, encouraging an open space where you can share your own experiences with others. The ultimate aim is to raise awareness of this bias amongst students and to promote change.

*This event is only available to Cardiff University Staff and Students.

14th October noon – 3pm – Roots and Rhythms

The Residents Life team is offering an afternoon of music, food and fun in the Centre for Student Life, where students are encouraged to wear cultural attire or the colours of their country to represent their roots and pride. Once again tickets are free, so get them before they’re gone!

16th October 6pm – 8pm – Book Club: The Private Joys of Nnenna Maloney

The Black History Book Club runs annually to celebrate Black authors and writers in meetings which happen every two to three weeks. In the first meeting in The Lodge on the second Floor of the SU, you can receive a free copy of the book The Private Joys of Nnenna Maloney, a comic novel about a half-Nigerian teen as she enters womanhood and begins to explore and connect with her Igbo-Nigerian culture.

There will also be an opportunity to discuss the chosen book over a cup of tea and some snacks with other members of the club.

24th October 2023 7:00pm – 8:00pm – Empire Windrush by Onyekachi Wambu

Away from university events, Waterstones in the town centre has arranged for author Onyekachi Wambu to give a talk on his book Empire Windrush. The book is a collection of writing based on the Black British experience from the arrival of the SS Empire Windrush in 1948 and the 75 years after, exploring the influence of Black writers and artists on the present generation’s writing.

This event is on the first floor of the bookshop, accessible via stairs and lift. Tickets are £6, unless you are a Waterstones Plus Cardholder, in which case they are £4.

30th October 5:30pm-7:00pm – BlackAdemia

If you’re a social butterfly there’s an event for you too! BlackAdemia aims to “bridge the gap between academia and career prospects” and will provide an opportunity for you to meet and network with other Cardiff Uni students, academics and staff to have meaningful discussions. There will also be a Q&A, alongside a student-led panel which will represent many diverse backgrounds.

The event is being held in The Lodge on the second floor of the SU.

20th November 6:30pm – 11pm – Afrogene  

The African Caribbean Society has teamed up with the SU for a night of celebration and a showcase of African Caribbean talent. There will be music, a fashion show and spoken word, plus food. The event is being held at Y Plas, on the second floor of the SU. Tickets aren’t yet up for grabs but keep an eye out!

Related articles recommended by this writer: