Bristol Student’s Union takes action for Student Renters’ Rights during National Lobby Day

The organisation is pushing for fair rights between student renters and landords, that particulary effect working-class and international students

Yesterday (October 23rd) Bristol Students’ Union attended the National Union of Students (NUS) National Lobby Day in Westminster, fighting to fix the unfair guarantor system for student renters.

This year’s elected officers travelled to London on Wednesday to advocate for key reforms for Student Renters’ Rights, along with other student unions from across the UK.

These key reforms included: Abolition of guarantor requirements, outlawing upfront rent payments and ensuring there are no exemptions for students in no-fault eviction policies.

Officers Lucy, Linlu, Katie, Bakhtawar, and Ella are lobbying for change. This is because currently, landlords can demand that tenants provide a guarantor who resides in the UK, and either owns property or meets certain income thresholds.

This is an issue as it disproportionately affects working-class and international students, as well as those estranged from their families, leading to significant housing challenges.

Lucy Pears, Student Living Officer at Bristol SU, stated, “The new government’s Renters’ Rights Bill presents a crucial opportunity to improve student housing, but we must ensure it addresses students’ needs.

“This is why we are going to London alongside other Student Union Officers from across the country to advocate for change and give Bristol students a voice in this matter.”

The team at Bristol SU is committed to fighting for fair housing practices and will continue to work closely with other student unions to promote the rights of student renters across the UK.

The full-time officer team also had the chance to meet with Carla Denyer, the Green Party MP for Bristol Central, alongside the elected officers from UWE.

They spoke to her regarding the issues that students were facing while renting. Carla is passionate about these problems since she sits on the Renters Rights Bill Committee.

The Bristol SU officers have also secured key university commitments for this academic year.

After discussions with the University Executive Board (UEB), they have decided to focus their time on tackling three main areas: Addressing student poverty, improving collective wellbeing, and improving academic satisfaction.

A full breakdown of these priority commitments can be found here.