Here are all the events CoppaFeel! Bristol are holding this February

16 societies are already involved with raising money and awareness for breast cancer

CoppaFeel! is a breast cancer awareness charity on a mission to challenge taboos around breast cancer to ensure that every young person has the tools to detect it early. 

CoppaFeel! Bristol has organised a month of Varsity and Galentines events to raise awareness and raise money.

They want everyone to have the best chance of beating breast cancer by focusing on early detection, with 75 per cent of people who saw their Uni Boob Team (UBT) prompted to check their boobs – their work is working.

Their fundraising and event catalogue is pretty impressive this year, with hopes to raise £50,000 in 2021, (which is enough money to roll out awareness campaigns at even more unis in the future). Each UBT has a fundraising target of £1000.

Jasmine Murdoch, President of UBT Bristol and 4th year Cellular and Mollecular Medicine student told The Bristol Tab: “As students we understand how isolating the pandemic can be, one of our missions this year is to build a friendly and supportive community and I feel our February events really encompass that.

“The engagement has been really great so far with around sixteen societies and JCRs signing up to take part in varsity, and we’ve already raised almost £200 with the raffle!”

Here are all the events you can get involved with this month:

Varsititty

This term’s big event is the Uni Boob Team Varsity. 20 UBTs are gearing up to compete against each other in a range of different sports. The Bristol societies involved already include tennis, gymnastics, athletics and cross-country, rowing, Latin American and ballroom dancing, boxing, women’s cricket club, sailing, women’s football, American football, badminton and medic’s hockey. They’re encouraging as many of us as possible to get stuck in, to give Bristol the best chance of taking home the cake. 

They’ve set an 800km and £800 target for the month, and with every £100 raised the committee will complete a challenge voted for by their Instagram community. The individual best athlete at Bristol will win a CoppaFeel! Myga yoga mat and the team that fundraises the most will win a voucher.

It’s a winner all round: getting us moving reduces the risk of cancer, boosts mental health and who doesn’t love an opportunity to get a little competitive? 

You can get involved by joining the Strava group or, if running really isnt your thing, help with fundraising by visiting their Just Giving page and sponsoring your club.

GALentines raffle

Their GALentines raffle is back again in full force, after raising over £600 last year. They’re looking to raise even more this year, with some truly wonderful prizes up for grabs. You can buy as many £1 tickets as you like from the SU website until midnight on the 12th Feb.

GALentines Speed Dating x HER campus

With the 14th of February rolling around, being stuck in our third lockdown and probably feeling a little isolated, there’s no better time to get involved in their GALentine’s event! Get to know new people over a drink and question-prompted chats! Cop your £1 tickets from the SU website.

The UBT Bristol President, Jasmine, also told us: “The GALentines raffle provides an opportunity for us to treat ourselves to a little something special, whilst getting the glory feeling of donating to a good cause. The speed dating event will be a fab place for people to connect and hopefully alleviate some of that loneliness. And finally, the varsity event is way to engage with loads of students across the country all working together for a similar goal whilst introducing them to the lifesaving habit of Coppin’ a feel.”