Image may contain: Wrist, Hand, Person, People, Human

Exclusive: Bristol University’s beloved caretaker Herman is retiring

Herman will be retiring at the end of October

Bristol University’s beloved caretaker, Herman Gordon, will be retiring later this month, The Bristol Tab can reveal.

Renowned for his radiant personality, which brightened up the Medical Library, Herman will be retiring following his twelve-year career at Bristol University.

Image may contain: Paper, Person, People, Human

A still from the recording of Herman opening the money raised by Bristol students.

Herman will be truly missed by students, who raised more than £1,500 for him and wife Denise to enjoy a summer trip abroad.

The couple enjoyed a luxurious two-night stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort & Private Island, thanks to the generosity of Bristol students and Sandals Resorts.

Image may contain: Percussion, Musical Instrument, Music, Leisure Activities, Kettledrum, Drum, Person, People, Human

Herman Gordon and his wife Denise enjoying a beautiful sunset evening. Image: courtesy of Sandals.

Speaking to The Bristol Tab, Herman said: “I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be retiring and will be leaving the University at the end of October.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years working at the University, and I have had great time with everyone I have met, worked with, and all the students that I have spoken to and spoken to me, all of you are like my family. I will miss you all.

“I have to say a big thank you for my supervisor Pat and the other staff members who have supported me all of the time since I have been working there, and especially the staff in the Medical Library, I have enjoyed working with you all. God Bless you."