Monsters Netflix editing error

Erm, there was an awful historically inaccurate editing error during Monsters on Netflix

How did nobody spot this?!

Whilst there are some elements of Monsters on Netflix that have definitely been tweaked to make the show more entertaining, it turns out there’s a massive historically inaccurate editing error we all somehow managed to miss.

Eage-eyed Redditors were the first to spot the huge Netflix editing error, which can be spotted in episode two of Monsters around the 23:56 minute mark. Erik and Lyle Menendez are arguing outside a home and there seems to be a doorbell to the right of them, perfectly normal right?!

Via Netflix

Well think again because this is no ordinary doorbell, but instead a Ring doorbell camera. Given that Monsters is set in the 1980s and 1990s, it seems very unlikely they would have had a Ring doorbell, as they weren’t even invented until 2011.

One user gave their thoughts on why Netflix didn’t spot the Monsters editing error, explaining: As someone who works in film: A LOT of the time homeowners will agree to remove these kinds of things when the locations department comes to scout the place, but then when we’re actually prepping the place for the shoot, it’s way more of a hassle than it was anticipated and costs more (sometimes attached to a secondary security system or electricity panel etc), so we just take the loss to not ‘burn the location’ (make it so that the homeowners don’t wanna rent their place for that production and/or film in general anymore).”

As for why they didn’t edit it out, another added: “They could, but it’s a very low priority and more time consuming and expensive, so likely why it wasn’t done. To be honest, it could’ve even been hidden by some set decoration piece – which would’ve been way cheaper and easier.

“The show seems to have been done in a very rushed way, which is how these things just get brushed off – if things are hectic enough during the shoot, a lot of stuff like this gets brushed off because the crew literally just doesn’t have time or hands to deal with it.’

Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story is available on Netflix now – For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes about other editing errors like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.