Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Ranking every romanceable companion in Baldur’s Gate 3 by how many red flags they have

Not Gale talking about his ex every five minutes

Like everyone else, I have become completely obsessed with Baldur’s Gate 3 since starting to play it, to the point where I struggle to think about anything else. The game has an incredible story, engaging dialogue, dynamic world and in-depth character creation. But one of the best things about Baldur’s Gate 3 is, of course, the romanceable characters and companion.

When the game first came out it seemed like every single gamer on the planet was obsessed with Astarion, and doing whatever they could in the game to romance him. However, in total there are eight romanceable companions in Baldur’s Gate 3, each with their own personality and traits. And whilst some people might idolise Astarion, he’s definitely got a fair few red flags I’m afraid to say.

So, let’s rank every romanceable companion in Baldur’s Gate 3 based on how many red flags they have, because in a game full of dragons and magic, you can still somehow be in a bad relationship.

8. Karlach

Via YouTube

Karlach is an absolute sweetheart and I will defend her with my life. Whilst she had a slightly questionable past, pretty much every romanceable companion in Baldur’s Gate 3 does so we won’t hold it against her. She’s kind, funny and also the most insanely helpful companion in the game.

Karlach carries me in pretty much every encounter, both in helping me win and quite literally. She’s so wholesome and very red-flag-free, aside from literally being red.

7. Shadowheart

Via YouTube

Shadowheart is another iconic female romanceable companion in Baldur’s Gate 3, and refers to herself as “god’s favourite princess.” Whilst Shadowheart is initially quite stuck up, by the time you get into act two she becomes a lot more relaxed and is a very wholesome girlfriend.

Aside from serving the goddess of darkness, which I’ll ignore because of plot points I won’t spoil, she’s very red-flag-free.

6. Halsin

Via YouTube

Halsin is fairly red-flag-free but not in a good way and more in a bland kind of way. I know other people really love romancing him but I just can’t personally see it.

The main red flag is that if you choose to you can have sex with him whilst he’s in his bear wild shape. I’m all for kinks but that’s a step too far.

5. Lae’zel

Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Via YouTube

I’m so torn on Lae’zel as a romanceable companion in Baldur’s Gate 3. On the one hand, once you get to know her she does soften up, but at first I just find her to be so jarring.

She also takes it so much more personally than the others when you ask her to stay behind at camp, we’ve got a stage five clinger on our hands people.

4. Wyll

Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Via YouTube

Before we even get to his red flags can I quickly say how frustrating it is that Wyll’s nickname is The Blade, and yet he isn’t proficient with most swords? Make it make sense.

Whilst Wyll is a wholesome character his obsession to kill Karlach at the start of the game is a bit concerning, and his romance is a lot less padded out than the rest of the companions.

3. Astarion

Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Via YouTube

Now we’re getting into serious red flag territory. Now, don’t get me wrong I love Astarion and he hasn’t left my main party since I found him. But good god is the man a walking red flag. First off, he tries to drink your blood in the middle of the night while you’re just trying to get some sleep. Not cool Astarion.

Even when you romance him he’ll still yell and shout at you. And don’t even get started on ascended Astarion, he’s an absolute diva to deal with.

2. Gale

Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Via YouTube

Gale comes across as one of the most wholesome romanceable companions in Baldur’s Gate 3. But don’t let this fool you. I actually started romancing Gale before realising his one fatal flaw. He’s seriously hung up on his ex. I mean the man still wears her earrings?

He physically cannot go five minutes without bringing Mystra up, and even in your first more intimate cutscene together, he is talking about her 95 per cent of the time. Let’s change the record, please.

Oh, and as if that wasn’t bad enough he literally has a nuclear bomb in his chest so there’s that.

1. Minthara

Baldur's Gate 3 romanceable companion

Via YouTube

If you’re doing a good and honourable playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 3 then you’ll most likely kill Minthara, so that initially sums up the kind of person she is. If you’re going for an evil playthrough you can recruit her and romance her, but at that point, I think both of you deserve the maximum amount of red flags you can get.

Minthara is a murderous psychopath and you can’t get a more red flag than that. Unless you wore socks to bed, but that’s just plan evil incarnate.

For everything you need to know about Baldur’s Gate 3, gaming news, memes and updates follow The Holy Church of Gaming on Facebook. 

Related stories recommended by this writer:

From location to characters: Here’s everything we know about Rockstar’s GTA 6 from the trailer

• All of the insane and secretive Easter eggs we spotted in Rockstar’s GTA 6 trailer

• We’re all freaking out over the GTA 6 trailer and these 17 memes sum up my mood perfectly

Featured image via YouTube