Refuge charity has dumped 1,071 ‘bad apples’ right outside Met Police HQ

‘The police need to understand we are not going to accept it anymore’

Refuge charity has dumped 1,071 “bad apples” outside the Met’s headquarters, New Scotland Yard.

Women’s charity Refuge said it wants to highlight the scale of abuse allegations involving officers.

The Metropolitan Police is currently reviewing previous allegations of violence against women and girls made against 1,071 police officers and staff members.

This comes after former Met officer, David Carrick, admitted to dozens of rapes and sexual offences against 12 different women. The met recently announced plans to reform the police force, following a string of damning reports.

The apples were dumped by Refuge this morning and are made of plastic and painted to look as though they are rotting. Abigail Ampofo, director of service delivery at Refuge, said the action was aimed at encouraging “understanding, recognition and accountability” from the force.

Abigail continued: “To know that there are over 1,000 officers where there are investigations taking place or historic events, it is really difficult for women and the British public to have faith in our police service.”

Abigail said: “The police need to understand we are not going to accept it anymore.”

Refuge tweeted: “We’re outside New Scotland Yard this morning asking, how many more bad apples? These 1,071 rotten apples represent the number of Met Police officers who have been, or currently are, under investigation for allegations of domestic abuse or VAWG.”

Refuge has created an open letter demanding change. You can find it here and sign it. The letter already has over 7,800 signatures at the time of writing.