block weight loss ads

This is how you can block triggering Instagram weight loss ads in time for New Year’s Day

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but you don’t have to diet

TW: Mentions of weight loss products. 

New Year’s Day is the ultimate paradox. You’re in a post-Christmas slump – and chances are, there’s still loads of banging leftover food in your fridge. You basically just want to eat pork pies, cheeses, chutneys and turkey sandwiches until you slip gently into a food coma. On the other hand, it’s also when influencers and diet product-pushers like to start telling you to “get in shape” by replacing sustenance with milkshakes or drinking tea that makes you shit.

As early as Boxing Day, our Instagram feeds are littered with “motivational” quotes about achieving goals – likely next to a perfectly-placed woman with abs; killing it with a 60kg kettle bell. Suddenly, we start to ignore all our bodily cues which tell us to nest, sleep and eat. Instead, we want to push ourselves, go for runs every day, drink the detox tea and spend all day on the loo.

I’m not sure who needs to hear this right now – but you don’t have to lose weight if you don’t want to, in the new year, or ever. Setting resolutions can be challenging and fun (mine’s to take more BeReals so I actually have a recap that lasts longer than three seconds). But you have to be realistic with yourself.

So, this is how you can block those annoying, potentially-triggering weight loss ads on Instagram, and stop the doomscrolling in its tracks:

How do I block weight loss Instagram ads?

block weight loss ads on instagram

1. First, go into Instagram settings and select “Ads”.
  2. Once you’re there, choose “Ad Topics”.
  3. You’ll be shown a list of topics like “Gymshark” or “Netflix”. Hit the search bar at the top and type in “Body weight control”.
  4. Tap on the topic and select “Show less ads about this topic”.

Now, you should be able to see less targeted ads about weight loss in time for the new year – as advertisers won’t be able to reach you, thankfully.

If you’re worried about your own or someone else’s health, you can contact Beat, the UK’s eating disorder charity, 365 days a year on 0808 801 0677 or beateatingdisorders.org.uk