Jenna Ortega Wednesday Covid

Jenna Ortega had Covid when the Wednesday dance scene was filmed and Twitter is furious

‘I wonder how many people got sick? And how many people those people got sick?’

Jenna Ortega filmed the viral dance scene from episode four of Wednesday on Netflix whilst she was Covid positive – she got tested after showing symptoms and whilst production waited for the results they filmed the dance. The test came back positive. The fact that such a famous and viral scene took place in risky working condition has angered Twitter, and people are reacting furiously.

In an interview with NME, Jenna Ortega said of the dance: “I choreographed that myself! I’m not a dancer and I’m sure that’s obvious. I’d gotten the song about a week before and I just pulled from whatever I could. It’s crazy because it was my first day with Covid so it was awful to film. Yeah, I woke up and – it’s weird, I never get sick and when i do it’s not very bad – I had the body aches.

“I felt like I’d been hit by a car and that a little goblin had been let loose in my throat and was scratching the walls of my oesophagus. They were giving me medicine between takes because we were waiting on the positive result.”

Whilst some outlets shared the quote as though Jenna Ortega had just girlbossed her way through a hard shoot, others online were less impressed. Journalist Lola MĂŠndez said “Disappointed to learn that Jenna Ortega had COVID symptoms on set but was still allowed to film the Wednesday dance scene while she waited for her positive test result. I wonder how many people got sick? And how many people those people got sick?” Another tweet echoed the sentiment, saying: “Jenna Ortega filming that dance scene while she had Covid is not impressive, it’s horrible. Absolutely callous disregard for her coworkers.”

“This is a bad thing right?” Tweeted Lily Simpson. “We all agree that this is not some ‘persevering through hardship’ moment, it’s a why the fuck didn’t she get sent home, she could get horrendously sick or infect others kinda moment.”

Another tweet says: “I love Jenna Ortega but why on earth does she sound like she’s bragging about working while super sick and waiting on her Covid test, which ended up being positive? Why is exposing the entire cast and crew to a severe virus such a flex?”

The Tab has approached Netflix for comment. 

Wednesday is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.